Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 7:12:38 AM EDT
Hey guys, looking for some ideas here.

I bought a STG58 this summer and love it.  Well, maybe not 100%

Here's my FAL at work:

It seems overly long to me and heavy.  For one thing I am going to replace the standard pistol grip with a M249 SAW grip but here are some of the other moves I was thinking of making with it:

Replace original buttstock with this one:

or maybe a para setup.  Don't know yet.  I really don't like the rear sights and I am looking for something different there as well.  

The original handguards are going and I'll either get the standard Belgian type or a quad rail.

Now to the barrel.  This thing, while being authentic, is annoyingly long.  I was thinking of cutting the barrel to 18" and having the short Steyr type flash hider installed.  

What do you guys recommend to upgrade your FAL to make it lighter and shorter?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Pass on the X stocks, it makes the rifle recoil way too much.

As for taking the rifle in a different direction, there is always going wood threw ironwoods sets, or take the rifle into a sniper type feel threw weaponarts.

www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1products.html
weaponarts.com

As for the Saw stuff, just say no.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I have a similar set-up to what your describing, I
- remove the bipod, handguards and Stoll
- cut the barrel at 17.3" (standard Para length) with shorty Stoll/combo/Phantom/Phoenix FH
- I like my X-stock, but I'm using an Aimpoint so I don't  get any of the "cheeck slap" some complain about
- TAPCO railed top cover
- SAW pistol grip and carry handle are excellant
- I went with the TAPCO T-48 handguard on this rig, but I'm going to use a railed HG on my next build

ed; and for sights, check out the Para rear sight with or without the A2 windage knob
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the SAW handle and Stock. If you have the money get the Intergrated rail system from DSA.

I really like my SAW stock.

Get the DSA heavy Duty Cover so you could use an optic if you wat to
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
  Linky to this SAW Stuff
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
This can help you with the sight options. There really aren't any better sight options with the conventional fixed or folder FAL. It is alloy, therefore should be lighter. It offers the option of collapsible, folding, collapsible and folding or fixed buttstock.

Kaiserworks

Here's an example of one built with this lower: FALfiles

I didn't care much for this concept to begin with, I'm starting to like it now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Without spending $300 to $400 for a para lower. I think I'd cut the barrel down to 18" and get rid of the bipod. The STG hand guards are lighter than any of the other handguards out there. Keep in mind that if you cut down the barrel you'll have to open up the gas port in the barrel.

I'd trade you my 18" carbine for your STG and throw in plenty of 20 round mags!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
The SAW pistol grip and new handguards would be the ticket. Maybe a new flashhider.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:04:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I am in the same boat.

After looking around and asking questions I have come to the conclusion that I would be better off by either keeping or selling my STG58 and either buying the one I want from DSA or else buying all of the parts I want and building my own.

Too bad that the FAL is not like an AR in respect that you could just swap an upper by pulling a pin and have a carbine or a rifle or a pistol or a SBR.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:28:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
To lighten the rifle, lose the bipod and install an aluminum lower.  Aluminum mags are a help, but HTF right now.

If you will ever want to use a scope or other optic, consider keeping the OEM buttstock, which raises your eye leve in comparison to most other styles.

A para rear stock will add weight and complexity to your rifle, while possibly detracting from reliability.  Unless you have a compelling need of a folder, don't.

SAW pistol grip is good, better angle of the wrist, and more natural.

Your rear sights are calibrated for use with an OEM length barrel.  As you shorten the barrel, the sight become less-well calibrated.  Your call, but I wouldn't unless you have a very good reason.

Install a shorter muzzle device which won't shorten the rifle much, but will take some weight off the very front end.  Lose the metal handguards and go with quality synthetic.

Raf hit it out of the park - although I don't mind the standard FAL PG, the SAW PGs are very nice... other than that minor issue, I totally agree with every word of his post...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Take a classic, beautiful rifle design and pimp it.  Yea, get the X series stock cause its way cooler than the W series.  Not as good as the Y series, though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Take a classic, beautiful rifle design and pimp it.  Yea, get the X series stock cause its way cooler than the W series.  Not as good as the Y series, though.

I just think the length of pull of the regular buttstock is too long.  I got a great deal on this rifle and like the hell out of it, but I guess I want it to be lighter+shorter so that I use it more often (like taking a tactical rifle course with it).  

Functionally, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my STG58 and I have to admit it is 100% reliable and seems like it would take a hell of a beating.  I am just looking to see whether this rifle gets modified or I buy another FAL and do with it what I want to do.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Its all in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
send it to me immediately so that you will mno longer need to worry about it. Let me suffer in your place
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a DSA Scope Mount dust cover and a TA01 ACOG, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
send it to me immediately so that you will mno longer need to worry about it. Let me suffer in your place

Noooooooo!

It's mine damnit, mine!

If I do anything now, it will involve builing/buying another FAL to go along with this one.!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Great looking rifle, I can't wait until I can get one myself, not till spring
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine started out much like yours, I had the barrel shortened to 18" and now has a Belgium short flash hider. I replace the buttstock and pistol grip with Penguin Premium. I think it feels real good and looks right. I now like it 100%

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in the same boat, I was thinking about shortening my barrel and replacing the handguards.  But mine was a primo DSA kit and I don't really want to mess with it...........  So I'm doing the Arfcom thing and building another one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:46:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I am constantly doing this or that to my firearms. I have access to a machine shop and enough skills to do about anything I want. I say that to say this. I love to modify and I like to help others modify, but not on an StG58. These are something special and should be used accordingly. The Austrian barrels are primo. As far as any other surplus F A L barrel, cut and slash to your hearts content. Just leave the StG58 as they should be.

Just my opinion

MDK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top