Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 3:46:49 PM EDT
Pretty self expalnatory.  I'm looking at a DSA StG58 carbine and can't decide between the fixed stock and the para.  So which one? (and NO "get both" isn't an option)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Both.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Need both depending on the need.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Start with the Para. You can then pick up a fixed stock lower later and it won't hurt as much as buying the para conversion.
Just make sure you keep the parts count right when you switch lowers.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
A ParaFAL will do everything that a standard can do. The reverse is not true. That having been said, you will be well served with either.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Like it has already been said, get the para now if you have the money.  This way in the future should you get a stiffy for folding stocks, you wont have to shell out $200 at an inopportune time.  Then just buy a normal buttstock for $30 and your good to go.

Happy shooting  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I vote for fixed - while the para folder is damn sexy, the fixed stock is more comfortable and practical.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Like it has already been said, get the para now if you have the money.  This way in the future should you get a stiffy for folding stocks, you wont have to shell out $200 at an inopportune time.  Then just buy a normal buttstock for $30 and your good to go.

Happy shooting  

I'm new to FAL's, but aren't Para stocks are more like $400 if someone is looking to use one on their FAL?  The price is what is keeping me away from going Para on my FAL.  You need so much more money to actually use the Para stock that it just sin't worth it for me.  I don't want to buy a Para bolt, recoil assembly, dust cover, and whatever else you have to buy.  If I could add a Para stock for $200 total, I'd do it, but isn't it more like $400?  I'll just have to be happy with all my cheap AK folding stocks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I much prefer the comfort of my paras to my fixed stock rifles.  Everyone's face is different you should try to shoot both, then decide.  If that is not an option then get the para.  If you don't like it you can easily convert it to fiixed and sell the para parts for a profit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I vote for fixed - while the para folder is damn sexy, the fixed stock is more comfortable and practical.

+1    Para's look "sexy", but are uncomfortable as hell to shoot.  My last build was an 18.5" carbine with a "para" rear sight and a fixed, synthetic stock.   Comfortable and practical.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#11]
DSAs Para Folder Cheek Pad is  an option.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Fixed for me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep in mind that you can't just simply swap out the butt stock or the lower to make either. The bolt carriers and receiver covers are NOT interchangeable. The fixed stock uses a rat tail bolt carrier that uses a recoil spring and plunger (Buffer) much the same way an AR does. The Para has the recoil spring installed in the receiver cover.

You could have one upper for both lowers. If you go this route the upper will have to be counterbored to accept the Para receiver cover.

IMHO the Para looks great! But I aint here to make a fashion statement!

Here are 3 of mine all home grown.

http://members.cox.net/nato762/MY3.jpg
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry, I have one of both.  The fixed humpback stock is really comfortable, but the Para stock isn't too uncomfortable. I shoot my Para more now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I have both...the Para enjoys a certain "coolness" factor.  The only weakness is the rear sling attachment is weak and mine pulled out.  I tie the sling to the rear of the stock.  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Para all the way
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top