Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2005 6:45:59 PM EDT
Hello FAL Friends,

Just got my first FAL and I'm still on training wheels moving on up the learning curve.

anyone care to share some knowledge on that areas to be extra careful on FALS?

Recommended Gas Port Settings?

Areas to check for function?

Areas needing special attention or maintenance?

Spare Parts to get incase something that often gives way decides to "go" ?

Thanks in Advance!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of any areas to be "extra" careful with,

My gas setting is between 5 and 7 depending on ammo. It's usually 7 with 147 gr. Argy surplus.

From what I have learned; major areas to check function are #1, headspace. #2 bolt and carrier.

And from there it depends.

I don't know of any special areas of attention either.  The Fal is a straight up reliable rifle for the

most part.  Take basic care of it, and it should be just fine.

Spare parts:  I've invested in a few spare spring combos' from Tapco, a spare bolt, and few

other odds and ends. Oh, lots, I mean LOTS, of magazines.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I use grease on my bolt release lever. When it gets dry it's hard to release the bolt.  Not sure how common this is. I think mayve the gas from the chamber was causing it to get a slight carbon build up around 100+ rounds.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The only weak link the FAL is ,
Ammo supply
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#4]
the gas regulator broke on my DS Arms STG58, when I ordered a replacement I got a spare one, got the heavy duty type from DS Arms.   Setting is determined by your rifle and ammo, set it to 0, fire, increase by 2 each time it doesn't cylce, then kick it up 1 or 2 after it cycles.  All described in the FN FAL owner's manual
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#5]
My gas setting is between 3 and 4 using military surplus ammo (146g). using hunting ammo with heavy bullets it's between 5 and 7. [steyr stg58]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Does the higher number on the gas port setting allow in MORE gas or LESS??

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#7]
at 1 the hole is completely covered, imparting maximun pressure on the piston... at 7 (at 11 if it's an inch rifle) the hole is uncovered, allowing gas to bleed of and reducing pressure on the piston
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Those silly numbers have caused more undue consternation to new F A L owners than just about any other part of the rifle. If you disregard them, you will be doing yourself a favor.

The gas port is the hole in the barrel that allows gas pressure to be diverted into the gas system. The gas regulator is what is adjusted to increase or decrease the amount of gas pressure in the gas system.

Having a complete set of new springs is a very good idea. But, if you don't want to buy a complete set, a spare set of recoil, firing pin, and gas piston springs will do.

I also have a spare bolt and carrier set for each  F A L that I have. Each is numbered to the rifle for which it is head spaced. If a pin, pin spring, or extractor were to fail, I could just replace the entire assembly and keep shooting.

Keep everything that moves lubed with the exception of the gas piston and spring.

As previously mentioned, get lots of magazines..... and ammo.

I hope that you enjoy your new rifle. I know that I have enjoyed building and shooting all of mine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#9]
if your gas adjuster doenst have numbers (i got an imbel lucky me) just turn it till the port is half covered and see how it works.  mine edjects casings about 3-5 feet and works with all surplus ive shot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Aside from an ambidextrous safety and mag release (which I made myself), the only other must-have for the FAL (IMHO) is an Israeli-style bolt carrier and matching bolt handle.  With these two pieces installed, you will have the option of positive manual chambering of the round like the M1 Garand and M-14/M1A.  Cuts for the charging handle pawl also act as sand-cuts, so some improved reliability in very dusty conditions can be expected as well.

raf, could you describe the ambi safety you made, or post pictures? As a lefty, the selector is my biggest gripe with FALs, I've kicked around the idea of trying to make my own ambi along the lines of the ambi AR selectors, just haven't got around to it.If someone would make a quality ambi FAL safety, I think there's definitely a market for them out in FALland.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#12]
tagged.

According to DS Arms, this is the week mine will be ready.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I made ambi safeties and mag releases for my F A Ls. I have pics of one of my builds posted at hunt101.com

www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=321671&sort=7&thecat=998&password=

www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=321673&sort=7&thecat=998&password=

www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=321668&sort=7&thecat=998&password=

www.hunt101.com/showgallery.php?cat=998&thumb=1&si=maddogkiller

I haven't figured out how to get the pics to post  so  I will just post the links.

The safety in the first pic is in the fire position. The second is in the safe position. The safety is accuated by the shooters trigger finger rather than the thumb.
The mag release in the pic worked, but I have since changed the design so the it doesn't contact the trigger guard when the rifle is opened as the one pictured does.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy a firing pin, extractor, spring set and the tool to change the extractor plus a heavy duty gas regulator nut from DSA.  Thats about all you should need.  Best way to obtain spare parts is to buy a battered kit,  usually all the spares you will need are in good shape, the barrel might be shot out but that won't matter. RAF, if you decide to start making Ambi-safeties for FAL's you can add me to your customer list.  I need at least two!  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Also an extra barrel is a good idea since they have been banned from future imports.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd also recomend a combo gas-port wrench/front sight tool from TAPCO. Best couple of bucks I ever spent, very handy gadget.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top