Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 4:08:12 AM EDT
I've had my StG kit (built on an Imbel) for a while with no major complaints.  Although it's not really a problem (from a reliability or accuracy standpoint), should the brass be hitting the topcover/ receiver upon ejection?  I don't care about cosmetics (my AR's got enough brass dings on it I can barely see the black anymore) but does this mean that my rifle is improperly set?  I've got the gas port set to 3, and that’s the highest it will go without FTEs or hold-open.  Any insights?

-JZ
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Its normal for the brass to hit the dust cover and receiver upon ejection.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what is known as "brass kisses", and is perfectly normal for an average FAL... It can be corrected, if desired - by CAREFULLY altering the face of the ejector, to alter the angle that the spent brass exits... I have done so on mine, and am happy with the results - but I'd say doing that isn't for everyone... A guy named "gillee" or some such over to the FALfiles had a link to a detailed thread about the whole process, and that's what I used as my guideline - I'm not sure if it's still available, though - if I can find it, I'll post a link...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I have brass kisses all over my AR, its not a problem, I just see it as a sign that I actually use my rifle.  I'm just happy nothing is wrong with my FAL.

-JZ
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#4]
nope its normal I use tape on my reciever and scope mount to keep away from any unwanted kisses lol
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#5]
As others have said...perfectly normal.  If you use a scope mount top cover you may need to buff out the area where the shell impacts the mount.  It can over time get sharp and you may cut yourself.  As you can image, this is experiance talking.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:31:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Cut a piece of the fuzzy half of a self-adhesive velcro strip and attach it to the area getting the marks.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Try a refrigerator magnet! The thinner the better. It doesn't leave tape residue! And they're free!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
So far, this is the only link I could find for it:

http://community-1.webtv.net/ggiilliiee/EJECTORANGLES/

...although it doesn't seem to be working at the moment - let me see what else I can come up with...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#10]
This link seems to be better...www.derbyfals.com/EJECTOR%20ANGLES.htm

- georgestrings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top