Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 8:18:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:04:11 AM EDT
[#1]
A center punch on it to back it out.  The LS are very hard and there is a possibility of breakage.

Also, it is my understanding that the shoulders came in different sizes to fit different sized holes.   This is different than the size referred to for head spacing.

I built a DSA receiver on a STG kit and I took a rat tail file and very carefully enlarged the hole.  Of course this was before I knew about the shoulder differences.

BTW for more info go over to the FAL Files  as there is a vast array of knowledge there.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Is this on an Imbel?

I'm building one that appears to have a too small LS hole on the right side. I've been thinking of filing down the LS so it will fit easier. I just hate the idea of filing on a receiver.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
You could try heating up the receiver around the LS to expand the material.  Of course, you would tost the LS's hardness and it would need to be discarded.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Do not heat up the receiver.  Not only is the locking shoulder hardened so is the receiver especially at that particular location.

Entreprise recievers are notorious for undersized LS holes.  Keep in mind however there are under and oversized LS also.  If you are not having any luck with a press nor a hammer what I would do is drill the locking shoulder through its center (long ways) with about a 3/16 bit to relieve as much stress as possible and knock it out with a small drift punch and hammer.  It will ruin your LS but that is better than your receiver.

If you decide to go that route.  Use a set of dial calipers and mic the opening and your LS and compare the diference.  The opening is typically about a .001 smaller.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah, Ed Vandenberg makes custom LS.  As a matter of fact he supplies brownells with them.  Here is his website www.vandenbergcustom.com.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The LS may have galled on installation. If so, you may have problems. Sorry to say.

You may have to take it to a machinist and have the LS drilled out to remove it. If you have really beat on it  with a hammer and punch, drilling it out may be your only recourse.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The LS may have galled on installation. If so, you may have problems. Sorry to say.

You may have to take it to a machinist and have the LS drilled out to remove it. If you have really beat on it  with a hammer and punch, drilling it out may be your only recourse.

my thoughts as well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#11]
If it is to hard to drill (I doubt it), find a place that has an EDM machine and they can burn it out.  The EDM runs in a cooling bath so I will not hurt the heat treatment.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Try to get some freez12 and spraying it then take your punch put it through the hole onto the pin. Put into your press and try pushing it out again. Make sure you have the reciever supported has close to the LS hole with your arbor plates.

You might want to get in touch with ARS and see what they say. If things get really bad send it to them and they will fix it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Any updates, Dan?

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Did you look on the HF website? You could return the one and buy it off the site.

As for the LS, did you measure the receiver and the LS before you pressed it in? If so, what were the ID and OD?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top