Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 3:51:19 PM EDT
I've had a look at the SA58 PARA CONGO and also the STG58CP (Para-carbine).

1) the SA58 is said to take .308 Ammo and the STG58CP is said to have a 7.62 Nato chamber, will the SA58 PARA-CONGO shoot the surplus 7.62 Ammo?

2) The More expensive Para-Congo has the aluminum lower receiver, where as the STG58CP has a steel lower, knowing that Steel is stronger then Aluminum, would this be a concern or issue on the lower reciever?

Also what are the plus sides of having a Para Congo over the Para Carbine or is it vice versa? Outside of price.

Thanks

BTW any of you ever purchase from South Eastern Gun Company he also sells on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica as JDYER

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The SA has a new commercial barrel and the STG58 has a cut down military surplus barrel I am sure the SA58 can shoot surplus 7.62X51 but you may want to call DSA if you are concerned.  The aluminum lower that DSA makes is nice and it is noticibly lighter than the stell one.  Not sure about the strength but I am sure you will not have problems and if you do DSA will fix it.  The Para carbine is a surplus parts gun built on a DSA rec.  The Para Congo is a completly USA made gun with new pats.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
1) the SA58 is said to take .308 Ammo and the STG58CP is said to have a 7.62 Nato chamber, will the SA58 PARA-CONGO shoot the surplus 7.62 Ammo?

Yes, No, and Maybe.

DSA is weird with their own barrels. The chambers are short on some. They will claim it's because they are built for match ammo, but my match ammo sticks out of the chamber just as far as the 7.62 surplus. I think they, or whoever built their barrels, are sloppy.

In any event it can be cured with an appropriate chamber reamer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one F A L that I built with a US commercial barrel that I bought from DSA. I do  not know the maker, but rumor has it that they were made by Badger. It has a 308WIN chamber and I routinely shoot military surplus ammo through it with zero problems. I set the headspace on all of my FALs to 308WIN minimums and have never had a feeding problem associated with headspace or chamber size.

I liked this barrel so much that I bought another to replace the one currently in use if I am fortunate enough to wear it out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I emailed DSA with my question about ammo, they we're very quick in response with this:

The following is a list of ammunition that we recommend NOT to be used in our Ds-ZM4  .223 caliber rifle and our SA58/FAL .308 caliber rifles.

Any Steel Cased Russian ammunition.
Any Steel Cased Chinese ammunition.
Chilean 7.62mm that is marked NATO
Cavim 7.62mm from Venezuela
CBC 7.62mm from Brazil.
Indian 7.62mm from State factory.
1970's production israeli 7.62mm Browning machinegun ammunition.

This ammunition can cause failures or damage to your rifle.  If in question call and ask forone of our technicians.

Thank You!
847-277-7258 = Phone  847-277-7259 = Fax
Hours: Monday thru Friday     8:30-5:00   CST

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]

And yet even Hornady TAP refuses to go in all the way in my new DSA barrel.

I got my FALFiles recommended reamer today so wish me luck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a bit confused with the aluminum lower.  I took delivery of a factory fresh Para Congo (18" barrel) last December.  Mine has a steel Type II lower- although I did request/mention my desire for the steel when placing the order.  I believe they will substitute a steel lower for you as when I ordered mine they seemed to consider every factory ordered rifle a "custom build".
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Steel is standard on the Congo, per DSA website. If you special order you can get it any way you want, but it might be cheaper to get one off the shelf and buy the special parts you want later.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a DSA SA58 and a DSA lightweight carbine.  I've shot thousands of rounds of surplus through both of them with no problems.   Surplus that I'vs shot include Spanish, South African, Portuguese, British, and maybe some others.  BTW, the accuracy has been pretty good as well.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I shot a ton of Cavim out of a FAL( not my DSA) and a M1A and never had a problem.

Anyone here have any?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:22:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I shot a ton of Cavim out of a FAL( not my DSA) and a M1A and never had a problem.

Anyone here have any?

Shot about 5K out of...

FAL's
AR10's
BM59
Galil
M1 Garand's
M14's
FMP G3S

with no problems. The only firearm that I had a problem with CAVIM was a MAS49/56 (CAI conversion) that would slamfire it's little heart out when using said ammo.

Still have a few cases left.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a lot of problems with CAVIM ammo. I tried to shoot the stuff in a BM-59, FN FAL, M1A, M1 Garand in 7.62 NATO and an HK-91. Pressures were excessively high in all of them. I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and loaded them down to reduced pressure 308 Win loads. The reloads worked fine. the pulled powder smelled acidic and was generally clumped together like it had been exposed to moisture. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Cavim as reportedly blown up a few rifles.  The MG ammo is hotter than normal for that reason they tell you not to shoot it.

As for chambers, the 7.62 Nato chamber's over lap that of 308.  7.62 is suppose to be more generous.  I think that you might just be able to change the locking shoulder to give a little more head space, but you would want to check that with a gauge.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#13]
1. Yes
2. No

Get the STG, save some dough. The aluminium lower saves about a pound, but in the "big picture" is a pound worth $200?
The only REAL difference is the barrel and the lower; there is nothing wrong with a Steyr barrel. It's just not new. IMO the Steyr is the better barrel anyway. I bought the STG58CP, and I bought a set of Imbel FN-type handguards and a folding cocking handle. I'm looking for an Argie chrom-lined para barrel to save for a rainey day. I'm happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top