Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 3:45:06 PM EDT
Can FAL's w/ folding stocks be fired while folded?  I noticed that the bold carrier has a Tang or rod that that during operation recedes into the stock.  I am an FAL noob waiting to be enlighten
h.gif
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
As depicted in the above post, the recoil springs on a para are mounted in the top cover ( para specific) rather than in a tube in the butt stock.

If you ever see a para with the buttstock folded, you will notice that the stock is actually mounted at an angle to the upper receiver. When folded, the top tube of the buttstock is below the ejection port just so that it can be fired whith the stock folded.

The down side to having the stock at an angle is that the hinge pin it perpenticular ( straight up) in relation the the line of the bore. This creates a pivot point ( where the stock meets your shoulder) that causes an uncomfortable cheek slap when fired.

I built my own para stocks and rather than having the stock at an angle, I made the hinge pin with an angle. This puts the stock in line with the bore, but allows that stock to be at an angle when folded. The result is no cheek slap, a perfect cheek weld for proper sight alignment while firing, and the stock is clear of the ejection port when folded.

ETA It looks like DSA is doing the same thing. Look closely at the hinge on the para pictured in this thread. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=7&t=188371
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the pics and text on the matter, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one and have fired it with the stock folded.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell yes they can.  Folders (para's) use a completely different recoil system, springs are in the top cover so there's no rat tail extending down the stock.

-hanko
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The down side to having the stock at an angle is that the hinge pin it perpenticular ( straight up) in relation the the line of the bore. This creates a pivot point ( where the stock meets your shoulder) that causes an uncomfortable cheek slap when fired.

I built my own para stocks and rather than having the stock at an angle, I made the hinge pin with an angle. This puts the stock in line with the bore, but allows that stock to be at an angle when folded. The result is no cheek slap, a perfect cheek weld for proper sight alignment while firing, and the stock is clear of the ejection port when folded.

Please post pictures!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top