Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 3:57:58 PM EDT
I was at a pawn shop here in Texas and they are selling an FA FAL which is in good shape, but with the serial number hand engraved into the right side of the receiver.  If I remember correctly it is made by The Federal Arms corp and they are asking $550 for it.  Does anyone know anything about this type of FAL, and are they any good or is it just a low end rifle?

Thanks,

Elliot
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
edited for clarity:

It must be a post sample.... no transferable MG ever sells that cheap. That, or it really isn't a FA FAL.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
edited for clarity:

It must be a post sample.... no transferable MG ever sells that cheap. That, or it really isn't a FA FAL.

FA = Federal Arms, not Full Auto...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for clarifying, but that does remind me of something else.  There is a third selector where the full auto position should be, but there appears to be some kind of block installed preventing the selctor switch from rotating all the way to that position.  

Still looking for any info on this rifle if ya'll can help me out.

E
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:54:56 AM EDT
[#5]
FA FAL is the DCI receiver

the full auto notch on your lower means nothing without a (sear cut) full auto upper receiver, altho the rifle will not repeat firing in that position IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#6]
If that's a DCI as pictured above it's a great value at 550.   DCI receivers are my favorite!  Figure $300 for the receiver...Kits  are 200+ .... US parts add another 150....  Worst case you add a few new parts here and there and you have yourself a SWEET rifle... I'd jump on it.

edited to add - the serial number hand written on the right side sounds like a African ZA model.  Does the serial number start with ZA-xxxx ---> again, buy the rifle you'll kick yourself later if you don't  :)

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 There is a third selector where the full auto position should be, but there appears to be some kind of block installed preventing the selctor switch from rotating all the way to that position.  

Still looking for any info on this rifle if ya'll can help me out.

E

Maybe its an ex-Canadian military rifle...?
I remember that when I was in all out FAL's were neutered fron secect fire to semi-auto in this way...
The FA selector was there, but y'couldn't push it far enough to actually get full auto...
I guess the philosohy of "aimed fire" and ammo budgets was the rational at the time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]
If it is indeed a DCI upper receiver, then that rifle was built either by a gunsmith or an individual other than a manufacturer. To my knowledge, there aren't any "factory" built F A Ls with DCI uppers.
This does not mean that it isn't a good rifle.  All of my F A Ls were assembled by me and all of them are reliable shooters. A couple of them are excellent shooters.

Unless the bore on that rifle is a sewer pipe, $550 is an good price. That is assuming that it is complete.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I bought the rifle for $500 plus tax (came out to $540).  The DCI upper seams to be in extremely good shape with hardly any wear.  The hand written SN and the SN on the bolt both begin with "RA", maybe someone here can tell me exactly what that means.  hinking.gif

Anyhow, thanks for all of the info guys, and I'm sure I will enjoy my new toy.

E
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, I bought the rifle for $500 plus tax (came out to $540).  The DCI upper seams to be in extremely good shape with hardly any wear.  The hand written SN and the SN on the bolt both begin with "RA", maybe someone here can tell me exactly what that means.  

E

it's an african kit.  NOTHING wrong with that bolt or bolt carrier.  I have a couple myself.  You did good!  Where's the pics?

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, I bought the rifle for $500 plus tax (came out to $540).  The DCI upper seams to be in extremely good shape with hardly any wear.  The hand written SN and the SN on the bolt both begin with "RA", maybe someone here can tell me exactly what that means.  

E

South Africa was a licensed manufacturer of F A L rifles. South Africa provided R1 F A Ls to the Rhodesian army during the civil war there. The rifles made specifically for Rhodesia were not marked or had the markings removed. It is possible that the donor kit that your rifle was built with was one of those rifles and that the Rhodesians applied a serial number to it via hand stenciling. I do not know this for a fact, but it would explain the hand written numbers on your rifle.

In any event, the South African made F A Ls were of very good quality.  You made an excellent score.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#12]
You did good.  Post a pic when you can.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Will post some pics soon, and thanks again for all of the help guys.

E
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top