Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 9:57:30 PM EDT
I have been looking at this for awhile and it is a correct one of Poyer's 158
rifles imported in 80's. It is pristine and still in grease bagged and boxed.
Has light coachwood and all the markings in all the right places. I am not
a big shooter so this would be more for show and tell. Only want a couple
of FAL's in my collection so would have this and my shooter.

Give me your ideas. What should I pay for this rifle?????????????

Thanks Guys,

RMM
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You should pay whatever it takes!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You should pay whatever it takes!

+1
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The best collectibility/investment value in a FAL is in
either in an original Belgian made FN/FAL (the earlier the
better), or a true L1A1 built in a Commonwealth country on an
original Commonwealth inch pattern receiver. (Such as the
Joe Poyer semi-auto Australian L1A1s that were imported in the
late 1980s.)  In the eyes of serious collectors, parts guns--
no matter how nice they are--don't count.  If it wasn't actually
BUILT in a Commonwealth arsenal on a Commonwealth receiver,
its just another parts gun. The only exception would be an L1A1
parts gun using a commonwealth parts set built on one of the scarce  "Lithgow L1A1A"
receivers brought in by "Eden Imports", just before the 1989 ban.  Less than 600 of
these receivers were imported.  One of these receivers is currently worth more than $1,800,
regardless of the configuration in which it was assembled. (Just due to the scarcity of the receivers.)

"The deal was made directly with and the brand new rifles were shipped directly from the Small Arms Facility at Lithgow NSW between Sept 1987 and mid 1989 when the Federal ban on "assault rifles" went into effect. A total of 158 rifles were imported and serial numbers range from SAF83005 (which I kept) to SAF830166. S/N's 830039 and 830103 were never received and 830041 was not sold.  The original asking price (Adv. in Guns & Ammo) was $1550.00 They can be identified by my address: 'Joe Poyer's Antique Firearms, 380 S. Tustin Avenue, Orange CA 92669' on the receiver. The stocks were Australian coachwood and were finished with a clear lacquer finish rather than the cresote treatment military stocks received."

From a practical standpoint, the profusion of parts guns and "Century" sporters generally function fine, have decent accuracy, and are relatively inexpensive.  However, they can hardly be considered investment pieces.  It is noteworthy that there is starting to be marginal collectibility in the pre-ban Argentine, Brazilian (Springfield Armory SAR-48s/4800s), STG-58s, and Israeli FALs.  Rifles that were imported into the U.S. before the thumbhole stock and flash-hider restriction stupidity began are already considerably more valuable than the later emasculated rifles.  Since the supply of the earlier style rifles is essentially frozen, this price spread is expected to increase in the future.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
buy it then post pic's!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a Lithgow/Eden L2A1 on Gunbroker for 3K.

The last Poyer I saw sold for $4K.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is my perspective. I am not a museum curator. I personally have no use for a firearm that I won't shoot. If you are well healed and $4-5K is no issue, then snatch it up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:07:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys for the help. I think I'm going to have to do it. Keep your
thoughts coming.

RC
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
You buy the Poyer, I'll get the Eden, and we can walk around with our noses in the air because we are better than everyone else.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a slightly used(98%) poyer for 3k a few weeks ago.
I like the G series better, but couldn't pass it up for that price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top