Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 6:07:41 PM EDT
Its been awhile since I was over at the DSA website, and I noticed that they now have the STG58 in the with para Folder, which is really nice because the Para-Congo is quite a bit more. How long have these been out? And its also listed as "restricted" anyone have any details? Any of you guys have one of these yet?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I just asked my favorite funstore to check into one for me. Sometimes there`s a wait for DSAs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Dammit, now I'm gonna have to to a Para Lower kit for my STG carbine
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
My Christmas present to myself this year, I hope!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Almost all of the rifles listed on the DSA website are listed as "restricted", but I think that is a typo which should read "FFL required"
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]

I first saw one in late Spring if I remember right. I got one recently.

As far as I can tell the upper receiver has the front para cut and a para bolt group is added. Then they add a folder where the stock was. Nothing else special about it. Same old kit. It comes with a 16" barrel, not the 18" of the para congo. Happily mine came with a full length screw on gas tube.

I've had one of those para lower kits on backorder for several months now.  Not sure how the bolt setup will be since it's meant for a receiver that lacks the para cut.

The para is fun to have, but unless you need a folder so you can carry it in cars or jump out of airplanes with less fuss, there is no reason to prefer it over a full sized stock. If it had a better folder design I would feel differently.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I first saw one in late Spring if I remember right. I got one recently.

As far as I can tell the upper receiver has the front para cut and a para bolt group is added. Then they add a folder where the stock was. Nothing else special about it. Same old kit. It comes with a 16" barrel, not the 18" of the para congo. Happily mine came with a full length screw on gas tube.

I've had one of those para lower kits on backorder for several months now.  Not sure how the bolt setup will be since it's meant for a receiver that lacks the para cut.

The para is fun to have, but unless you need a folder so you can carry it in cars or jump out of airplanes with less fuss, there is no reason to prefer it over a full sized stock. If it had a better folder design I would feel differently.

Thanks for that info Robert, there hasn't been much talk of these, Im set on getting a Fal just haven't figured out which one yet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks for that info Robert, there hasn't been much talk of these, Im set on getting a Fal just haven't figured out which one yet.

That's easy then. Get a Para (of whatever barrel length you like).

If you decide the thin metal buttstock is not for you, get a regular lower for it. They are fairly cheap, just make sure the U.S. parts count is right. If you swap out the trigger parts it should be and only take 5 minutes.

You can put a para upper on a regular lower, but not the other way around.

With the para you can have the best of both worlds the price of an additional $99+- lower.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I just ordered mine. Wait is 4-6 weeks. They come with either a 16" OR an 18" barrel, with or without the carry handle cut, Type I or II receiver. I ordered an 18" with no carry handle. I'll add belgian style handguards and a folding cocking handle and make it a StG58.63
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you guys know if I can order it directly from them and have it shipped to my FFL or does my FFL have to order it? Also since they are built from the kits, how are the kits looking these days, I had an stg58 a couple years ago and everything looked like new

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do you guys know if I can order it directly from them and have it shipped to my FFL or does my FFL have to order it? Also since they are built from the kits, how are the kits looking these days, I had an stg58 a couple years ago and everything looked like new

Thanks

Don't know about condition; the website says very good to excellent. My experience with DSA has been good; they don't let a bad looking rifle come out of their shop.

You can order direct from DSA but then they charge you MSRP + shipping and you still have to pay a transfer fee to your FFL; I am paying dealer price plus transfer/shipping and it came out to right at $1300.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#11]
So dealer price is around $1250 for the para STG?

I want one of these sooooo bad.

Going to have to sell my Armscorp semi M14 to make that happen (tears).

I have an emotional thing about FALs. Can't seem to be content without one.

I guess it will be worth giving up the M14, but she's got such a sweet trigger....

I was going to sell the rifle anyway so I could get set up to shoot IPSC with my son.

Maybe I'll just get a beater FAL with the money left over and get a para lower later on.

So many guns, so little money....

Be safe,

Flyer

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#12]
As much as I love FALs, I could never sell an M1A for one.

The same goes in reverse.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I have only one FAL and will not be able to get another in the forseeable future.

If you had or have only one FAL would you prefer the standard fixed stock or a folder?

I've heard the folder is very uncomfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have only one FAL and will not be able to get another in the forseeable future.

If you had or have only one FAL would you prefer the standard fixed stock or a folder?

I've heard the folder is very uncomfortable to shoot.

Para folder. Like WG said, you can always put a surplus fixed stock lower on there for $50.
FWIW, the folder shoots fine with a pad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Vandal,
it's not the most comfortable, but it's manageable. If you are using optics DSA sells a nice cheekpiece that takes the bite out of it.

I have a kit i bought to change my rifle, so i can have both.

I find the recoil springs aren't as strong, they have trouble stripping the first round from a loaded 20 or 30 round mag.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Ooooohhhhhh I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#17]
The rifle is nice - there has been a wait of a few weeks - folding stock may take longer.  Restricted applies to FFL. Not sure about the direct order - in the past they were only available through a dealer. Many dealers will not do a transfer on this item - depends how hungry they are.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top