Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 6:37:19 AM EDT
They're crap, that is. One's options are either kit build or shell out for DSA, right? Just making sure I've been paying attention.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:23:39 AM EDT
[#1]
No, but it is a crapshoot.  Many of the earlier Century weapons were on Imbel receivers...good rifles.  I purchased one of the firstL1A1 kit built on their own receiver and had to do some serious work to get it to run right.  It comes down to money.  If you have a grand or more for a DSA then do it.  They are very fine rifles.

It is still hard to deny $500 for a rifle, 1000 rds. of ammo, 10 mags and other goodies and still come in way under the DSA.  

I built one on an Imbel receiver and with a DSA STG58 kit and compliance parts.  It is a very nice rifle.  

Century rifles can (for the price) be very reliable and very fun to shoot.  99.99999% of us will never be in combat with a FAL so get one you will enjoy at the range.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there a way to tell if a rifle is an early or late manufacture model from Century? Impactguns has them now, but the price tells me they are recent manufacture; my assumption being the one's built on good Imbel receivers would cost more....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#4]
ok, so assuming an imbel receiver and a decent parts kit, and requisite number of US parts, what build cost are we talking here?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
They are 100% SHIT!!!!!
Between the 2 I owned and several of my friends we shot they were all jam-o-matics! I have shot close to a dozzen now and every one could not get through 1 full mag with out a jam. I will never buy Century and I try to tell everyone to stay away from them.

Pay a little more and get the DSA and you won't go through the heart break or frustrations!

ETA:

The Century rifles we shot were not all FAL's but several Cetmes also and even a couple WASR 10's. Any gun that is built by Century avoid but if it is something like a surplus rifle like a Mosin Nagant, Makarov, SKS those are fine as they were imported by Century and built by them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
They are not "100% SHIT!!!!!".  I totally disagree with SkagSig40.  I am not saying that they compare to a DSA, but they are HALF THE PRICE!  I did sell my Century FAL and built a DSA kit up, but it also cost much more.

"Pay a little more and get the DSA and you won't go through the heart break or frustrations"  Agreed....but it is not a little more...check retail prices.

I have a CETME as well as three friends and my brother.  All required some tweaking, like mag catch’s and 300 round break-in, but for $325 we have had a blast at the range with thousands of rounds.

I am with SkagSig40 that if you can afford it buy a DSA...but not all have over a grand to put into a rifle...then buy a case of ammo, mags, cover and optics, sling and other stuff.

GTLandser you need to go back and look at archives...this has been discussed many MANY times in the last two years.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]
If Impactguns advertises it with a new barrel--then it is definately recent vintage.  Every time I read Century FAL threads on any of the forums, I feel very LUCKY! Because the first FAL I ever bought (actually traded for) was a Century on Imbel receiver---runs like a champ, never a problem. Liked it so much, I bought one with their receiver and it too ran like a champ, never a problem in the 500 or so rds. I put thru it.
But they began a new addiction, and I sold off the Century receivered one to help fund a ARS Israeli FAL, then picked up a DSA STG-58A--------the original Century on Imbel shoots almost as accurately and definately as reliably as the other 2.
MY 2 CENTS
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a Century FAL built on a Hesse FAL-H receiver. Yeah, I know its supposed to be the worst of the worst. But this gun has been perfect from day one. Its reliable and accurate. I bought it in 2001 and have no plans to get rid of it. Admitidly, I had a good dealer that told me to "take it out and try it, if you have any problems just bring it back."

I've seen better looking FAls but not better working FAls especially for the money.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They are 100% SHIT!!!!!
Between the 2 I owned and several of my friends we shot they were all jam-o-matics! I have shot close to a dozzen now and every one could not get through 1 full mag with out a jam. I will never buy Century and I try to tell everyone to stay away from them.

Pay a little more and get the DSA and you won't go through the heart break or frustrations!

ETA:

The Century rifles we shot were not all FAL's but several Cetmes also and even a couple WASR 10's. Any gun that is built by Century avoid but if it is something like a surplus rifle like a Mosin Nagant, Makarov, SKS those are fine as they were imported by Century and built by them.

Or you could just search this board & the Fal files and see DSA is now plagued with it's share of problematic rifles............... I'm not defending Century, just noticing now-a-days quality is a thing of the past no matter if you pay $1 or 1,000............ It's about all the same
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are 100% SHIT!!!!!

ETA:

Or you could just search this board & the Fal files and see DSA is now plagued with it's share of problematic rifles............... I'm not defending Century, just noticing now-a-days quality is a thing of the past no matter if you pay $1 or 1,000............ It's about all the same

I agree... in the past 2 years I have seen several FALs with parts flying off, assorted jam problems, etc during our monthly action rifle matches.  All were DSAs... Century and homebuilt guns seemed to function just fine.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
my Century/Imbel L1A1 runs awesome no problems at all
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They are 100% SHIT!!!!!

ETA:

Thats interesting.....  I have a Century built R1A1 on a Imbel and it functions 100%. I even has a WASR 10 hi-cap that functions 100%. So I gues your statement is flawed. There are others here and on FAL Files that also have FALs made by Century and work just fine. Yes, they are hit/miss but I think mine was spot on. At least one monkey at Centruy was smart and doing his job.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are 100% SHIT!!!!!

ETA:

Thats interesting.....  I have a Century built R1A1 on a Imbel and it functions 100%. I even has a WASR 10 hi-cap that functions 100%. So I gues your statement is flawed. There are others here and on FAL Files that also have FALs made by Century and work just fine. Yes, they are hit/miss but I think mine was spot on. At least one monkey at Centruy was smart and doing his job.

No my statment is not flawed but 100% accurate. From what I have seen and fired, Century is junk and nothing more. I understand that some Century guns do run properly but WAY, WAY, WAY to many don't and that is unexceptable in my book. Century knows about their problem and they should have the integrity and pride to fix them and produce better guns but they seem to not really care by kicking out more shit guns.
I really wanted to like them because their gun looked really nice and the price can't be beat. But after buying a couple and shooting several more that all had problems that were unable to be fixed I gave up on them. I'm glad you got one of the few good one's, I just wish I could of had one too. Oh well life goes on and there are so many other good guns to be had!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They are 100% SHIT!!!!!

ETA:

No my statment is not flawed but 100% accurate. From what I have seen and fired, Century is junk and nothing more. I understand that some Century guns do run properly but WAY, WAY, WAY to many don't and that is unexceptable in my book. Century knows about their problem and they should have the integrity and pride to fix them and produce better guns but they seem to not really care by kicking out more shit guns.
I really wanted to like them because their gun looked really nice and the price can't be beat. But after buying a couple and shooting several more that all had problems that were unable to be fixed I gave up on them. I'm glad you got one of the few good one's, I just wish I could of had one too. Oh well life goes on and there are so many other good guns to be had!

I am sorry you had to deal with those bad rifles. I guess I did get lucky then.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah no big deal! I don't like Century but if I had a guarantee the gun would run good I would buy it! Enjoy yours!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top