Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2005 10:04:30 PM EDT
Recently I have been looking into buying a parts kit (most likely a STG58) and cutting down the barrel and swapping out parts to make a para-type FAL.  What types of conversions would have to be made to the front-end of the rifle for it to look like a para barrel?

Thanks,
JZ
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Simply have the barrel cut down to 18.5", re-crowned and re-threaded for a Belgian short "combo" muzzle device.  John Glover from CMP Armory ("moses" from the FAL Files) does excellent work @ a decent price.   His e-mail addy is [email protected].
As for handguards, synthetics in either bipod or non-bipod cut config. are "correct" for a "para".
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on which model you are trying to recreate. Some had full lenght barrels.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]
paras were cataloged in at least three lengths

533mm or 20.984", 458mm or 18.031" and  436mm or 17.165"
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]

If you want a Para buy a Para. You will not save any money by swapping parts and it will probably cost more if are actually able to pull it off.

Not sure what you mean by Para-type. To me it means it's at least a folder.

DSA sells a STG-58 (kit based) Para-type. It goes for around $1350 and it still not a true Para, but the stock does fold.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
STG58 kit - $295 to $330
Para kit - $380
Reciever - $240 to $440
Barrel work - $50

Cool factor - priceless....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been collecting parts for a para build for the last 4-5 months.  As soon as I receive my steel parts back from being park'd she'll be built.  Para's are by far is the most "parts hunted" build I've done.  My lower inner parts will all be FN from an STG lower I bought some time ago, barrel will be a chrome Imbel.  FN bolt with a DSA carrier and top cover will be used.  Furniture will have an FSE pg and a DSA handguards and topping it off will be a "moses" hurricane flash suppressor.

The para lower/stock was a group buy $70 special from Sarco over at FALfiles and is Rhodesian that came in excellent shape.  Should be a sweet para!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top