Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2005 2:54:18 PM EDT
After a horrid job of removing the pin-on, welded post-ban muzzle break, I want to get my FAL back in action (fix 'er up!) the right way by having the barrel chopped down to 18" and threaded. A local gunsmith quoted me $195 to do the job. He'll charge $50 to just cut and crown, so is the $145 worth the price of threading? I'm asking for left-handed threads on a inch-pattern frankenfal so maybe that's where the premium is coming into play.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Head on over to the falfiles.  I think either moses or sledgehammer may be who you're looking for.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hrmph.. missed out on a cut/crown/threading deal by mrbonecrusher. $50 to CCT with return shipping included. But I guess I know I need to shop around some more. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: I found the threads for moses and sledgehammer as well. Boy, are they buried in the marketplace forum. Both are quoting prices around 30-40 for the work plus return shipping so it's safe to say my local deal isn't that great of a .. er, deal.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I sent 2 FAL barrels out to a local so called smith, and I was less then happy with the work.  I even gave him the end of another barrel so he would do it right.  Well, the thread job worked but was not to the same spec as the original, I only paid $50 for both barrels but I will go to the FALFILES first from now on.  Those guys there live the FAL
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I had threading done by Rich at  www.cgwguns.com/

$40 for cut, thread, and reparking of the barrel end.   Send the muzzle device of choice and he will even time the threads for it.

I was very impressed.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
After a horrid job of removing the pin-on, welded post-ban muzzle break, .......

Wow!  I did the same thing.  My barrel slipped in the vice, causing some pretty ugly gouges.
I had mine cut down to 18" and rethreaded for $50, so I would check around a bit.  I'm lucky, I've got Accuracy Speaks as the local smith.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Longhorn, moses, sledgehammer and Rich as well as Glen, aka "187" on the FALFiles are all good choices. Sledgehammer is in Texas, Rich is in NV, moses is out one of the Carolinas. Glen/187 is from Ohio.  Randy, aka sledgehammer is in Mansfield, Texas.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 4:24:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Derek Huffan at Arizona Expert Arms does real nice work too.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I think you can buy a new Imbel para barrel for less than that from The Dealer's Warehouse, look for their ad in SGN.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
There she is.. ain't she a beauty? Okay, okay, but at least I can take her out to the range again. Sledgehammer did quite the job chopping and threading. The flash hider went on without a hitch! I had the barrel assembly back within a week from shipping it out. I highly recommend Randy if you need the same work done.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys if you need a barrel done just shoot me a message, just cause a sales over don't mean I can't cut ya a deal. I usually charge $25 to $30 to cut, crown and thread a barrel all by it's self. Barreled receivers area bit more cause set-up takes longer, record keeping on receivers is time consuming and shipping requires drop off at the PO. I do this stuff as a hobby and excuse to be running machinery.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#11]
beutiful rifle!  what kind of PG is that?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, it's a Century frankenfal so I'm not exactly sure. I think it's a standard L1A1 grip. I think.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep it's an L1A1 grip with a metal popsicle front strap.  The grip is rectangular, the metric grip is oval in cross section, it's not as comfortable to hold for a long time
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I have small hands and fing the L1A1 grip to be more comfortable than the Metric.

Nice looking rifle, BTW!

Tim
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hey guys if you need a barrel done just shoot me a message, just cause a sales over don't mean I can't cut ya a deal. I usually charge $25 to $30 to cut, crown and thread a barrel all by it's self. Barreled receivers area bit more cause set-up takes longer, record keeping on receivers is time consuming and shipping requires drop off at the PO. I do this stuff as a hobby and excuse to be running machinery.

He does outstanding work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top