Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2005 8:36:20 AM EDT
I have a buddy who is offering me a Hesse R1A1 Sporter, with a bi-pod and several mags for $500.  Are Hesse firearms any good and is this a good price to pay for this rifle?  My buddy says it is in excellent shape too.  Any assistance would be greatly apprecaited.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#1]
run away as fast as you can and call  ORF
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Man, that is the second time today I have been told they are junk!  
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Man, that is the second time today I have been told they are junk!  

Hesse = very low quality workmanship.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#4]
No wonder he only wants $500 for it.  Thanks for the info, I'll put the money to better use.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#5]
STAY AWAY FROM HESSE!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#6]
My broyher in-law has an L1A1 that is a tack driver, he's trying to sell it to fund another project adn can't give it away, everytime someone see's HESSE on the receiver they hand it back and run away.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Friends don't let friends buy hesse!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#8]
They were selling for $399 for a couple years, then they jumped to about $600 now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#9]
My Century L1A1 was built on a Hesse receiver and has always worked fine. It was a good deal when I bought it and have no complaints. Hesse got a bad reputation from builders and his piss poor customer service. But if the gun works they usually work as well as any other.

Hesse originally built guns with Imbel receivers (FAL files used to have an article from American survival guide that gave them a good write up). They later manufacturered their own receivers and usually they needed more work than an Imbel or DSA to assemble. Century built guns with them. Usually the Century guns that had problems were related to their two piece gas piston bending, the gas plug being installed on the grenade setting or the cross pin missing from the gas tube and not receiver problems.

If the gun works and the price is right this may not be a bad deal.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
How does it shoot?  If it runs reliably, and has no issues, then I wouldn't care if it's a Hesse.  Selling it may have some difficulty for above reasons.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top