Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 7:58:20 PM EDT
Wondering what sort of tools I may need, and any special tricks of the trade. I build all my AR's, but never changed anything on my FAL. I want to put an 18" bbl on, and add a para stock. Oh, how's the wait on the folders nowadays? Thanks in advance . .      
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Im on the list for a DSA para set, they said about a month. i also have an imbel para, they are floating around with no lead times.

as far as changing the barrel, all you really need is a big ass crescent wrench, some sort of device to time the barrel, and a set of locking shoulder guages to set your headspace.  on top of that a set of regular headspace gauges would help.  its recommended that you use a reciever wrench, sort of a big jig that locks the reciever in a vise while you are torquing the barrel and makes sure you dont warp the reciever.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Tools needed for a barrel change:

Receiver wrench
1 1/16 open end wrench
breaker bar
Barrel shaver
Head space guages no/no-go
pin guages
timing tool
12 pack beer
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Who does barrel replacement? I have a para kit on my SA/Imbel but currently have 21 inch barrrel. Or is it an easy replacement?

Sua Sponte,
Prib
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:55:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Receiver wrench
1 1/16 open end wrench
breaker bar
Barrel shaver
pin guages
timing tool
BIG VISE

fixed it for you

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Receiver wrench
1 1/16 open end wrench
breaker bar
Barrel shaver
pin guages
timing tool
BIG VISE

fixed it for you

Yep, forgot about that one!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
You MAY be able to remove the barrel with a open end wrench, it depends how it was installed.
Some barrels are torqued on REAL hard.

I would not attempt to remove a barrel that is on real hard without a receiver wrench,
to easy to screw up the receiver.

If the barrel will not come off with moderate force it could be installed with Locktite.
If thats the case you will need to heat up the barrel with a propane torch to loosen the locktite.

The best way to remove a barrel is with a barrel vise and a receiver wrench.

If it sounds like it's something you don't want to mess with let me know.

[email protected]

Court .223
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top