Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2005 5:23:06 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to buy a scope mount and optic for my FAL. I'm kinda torn between two different optics right now. I want to put either a Leupold Var-X III 2-7x32mm scope or 2x Aimpoint Reddot. I have an Imbel with a 21" barrel (may shorten to 18") that gets excellent groups.

I'm going to use it for deer next fall/winter and I hunt in north Florida and south Alabama. I'd also like to do long range plinking and I'm wondering how an Aimpoint would work in that capacity. Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Out of those two I would put the Leupy on it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#2]
NO to the 2X Aimpoint.
They suck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, after browsing over at FALFiles I gathered the Aimpoint wasn't a good choice for the FAL. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah, after browsing over at FALFiles I gathered the Aimpoint wasn't a good choice for the FAL. Thanks guys.

The Aimpoint 1X is an outstanding choice, however.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an Aimpoint M2 on a LaRue low mount QD ring mounted on a FAL. I love the set-up. I have put just under 2,500 rounds through my FAL w/ the Aimpoint mounted, no problems at all.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought about a 1x Aimpoint. My main concern is the 4 MOA dot. I can get good groups with the irons, and I'd like something for long range work. I already have my AR-15 with an EOTech and my AK for close and intermediate ranges.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#7]
TA-11C or TA-11E ACOG in a GRSC low profile ACOG mount.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought about a 1x Aimpoint. My main concern is the 4 MOA dot. I can get good groups with the irons, and I'd like something for long range work. I already have my AR-15 with an EOTech and my AK for close and intermediate ranges.

For long range work there are better platforms than the FAL.  Don't get me wrong - I love the FAL platform and have a couple in my safe, but they are not precision long range weapons unless you are willing to put a lot of time and money into getting them built up for that purpose.  They excel in the role they were designed for - a main battle rifle.  My favorite FAL is an STG58 kit built by CGW that wears an Aimpoint.  No problem making head shots on a silhouete target at 150 yards.  Just use a 6 O'clock hold with the dot.

For serious long range work look at bolt action rifles or the AR-10 type gas guns.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Aimpoint.  I've tried all the rest.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice!  Too bad I can't have all the really cool "no-ban" go fast accessories here in the People Paradise of NY
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Aimpoint.  I've tried all the rest.
sniper.rsvs.net/DSAPara.jpg

Is that a Steyr flash suppressor and a DSArms scope mount?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, it's all DSA.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top