Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 11:36:28 AM EDT
I am thinking about refinishing my fal kit.  Will high heat grill paint work?  I have heard that bedliner paint works too.  If any of you have experience or advice I'd like to hear it.  I looked at Brownell's but their paint is pretty expensive--28 dollars.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#1]
i sprayed (krylon -i think- 1200degree) & baked some mags & i won't use it again. looks good right at first but wears rapidly. maybe other brands work better? dunno
touch-ups are cheap, but to me that's not the point. if i were to spray&bake again i'll be using alumahyde which i've used before with great results or gunkote or  duracoat or something.
actually i need to quit jerking around & get set up for parking....
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Spend a bit more money and go with Gunkote.  Do NOT get the aerosol cans from Brownells though.  Get the regular stuff and spend another $30 on a cheap airbrush.  The stuff is awesome and was developed for guns and not grills.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Spend a bit more money and go with Gunkote.  Do NOT get the aerosol cans from Brownells though.  Get the regular stuff and spend another $30 on a cheap airbrush.  The stuff is awesome and was developed for guns and not grills.

Indeed +1
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm getting ready to write a refinishing article on the FAL, but for now, the below thread should give you a pretty good idea of how to do it and stay affordable.  For under $50 (including all supplies), you can refinish several rifles.

www.coloradoshooting.org/ar_refinishing.htm
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote here for GunKote. The grill paint is fine for magazines, but your rifle should be given an appropriate finish. All of my F A Ls are GunKoted as are my 1911's. One of my K98 mausers now sports a Gunkote finish as will the other two.
If you do decide to go the GK route, buy it directly from KG industries. They are fine people and have excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for your input.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top