Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 4:30:15 PM EDT
I want a STG-58 carbine but no one has them in stock. A friend handed me a rifle from C A I, and it is marked Canada.  The lower has 'UE 58' and the barrel is rifle length, has a slot under the muzzle at 6:00, looks to be chrome chamber, no chrome bore. Upper says; 'L1A1 sporter, cal 308, CAI - St Aib VT. Chrome bolt looks to have wear from a different rifle. Tall sights [ugh], s#!tty furnature.
Is this complete crap? If there may be hope for this, Who should sort it and make it ready?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The Century FALs can be hit or miss, it depends on the people who put it together. Some will work great, others are terrible.  Can you test fire this thing, see if it works well? How much $$ do you want to spend? Do you own it or is your  friend offering it to you?

Derek at azexarms.com will work on Century's, some smiths will not.

STG58 kits are getting scarce. Why not buy a kit from DSA and a FAC/Coonan reciever and have a smith build it for you?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#2]
You're looking at an inch pattern FAL built on a metric receiver.  It will not take inch mags, but everything else is inch.  This also means the bolt doesn't hold open after the last round.  

The inch builds from Centruy tend to be fairly decent.  Value is low though.  Figure $500 tops for the value.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't really mean the bolt won't hold open, canadian C1s lock open after the last round.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
109, the bolt stays open if I insert an empty mag and pull back on the lever [ folding bolt handle ] .  The sights are tall and the but stock is terrible.  It may be managable if the shorter front and rear sights could be used allong with say a stg buttstock. I do not know if the parts will interchange but the sights and stock will not get it. Kills the deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top