Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 10:54:02 AM EDT
I had my DSA FAL at the range yesterday. This was the fourth trip sence I bought it last month. The 1st 3 trips it jamed several times per magazine.  Yesterday I put 200 rounds (10 mags) through it and it was flawless!!! I now think that all the jams before were due to the gun not being broke in. It now has 700 rounds through it and seems to funtion fine. The ammo I used durring the 1st 3 shooting sessions were Portugise in 200 round "battle packs". Yesterday I used Austrailian stuff and it worked fine. I then went back to the Portugise stuff to see if it was the ammo and I did get a jam on the 2nd round(FTE) and I adjusede the gas down to 2 1/2 and the last 100 rounds of the stuff worked perfect!!! I'm starting to like this gun now and I guess a little patcience can pay off sometimes!

The Austrailian ammo worked on 4 and the Portugise ammo worked on 2 1/2. Does this sound noramal for a FAL? What gas setting do your FAL's run these ammo's on?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#1]
My FAL (DSA STG58) acted like that ... my first range trip had a few jams, now, it functions flawlessly.

I have tested the Hertenburger and Portugese ammo with a scope. The Portugese is more accurate in my FAL than the HB. They both function perfectly though.

I dont recall where I have the gas system set for the portugese ammo, I can look when I get home tonight and post later if you want to know.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Great news man!  I've found that the Aussie is some of themost accurate ammo around in most of my rifles.  They also have softer primers than the Port.  The Port sometimes will not fire in my bolt guns due to this.  

My FALs run the gamut as far as the settings.  I have a couple that run nearly completely open and some that need to be nearly closed.  All of mine are home-builds though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Skid, If it is not to much trouble I'd like to know.

I'm still trying to understand the gas settings. Sence mine runs at 4 or lower so far does this mean it will have less life and is more "worn" then a FAL that runs at 5, 6, 7+ with the same ammo?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Skid, If it is not to much trouble I'd like to know.

I'm still trying to understand the gas settings. Sence mine runs at 4 or lower so far does this mean it will have less life and is more "worn" then a FAL that runs at 5, 6, 7+ with the same ammo?

I will check for you .....

Have you adjusted the gas system according to instructions that came with the rifle?  I opened mine all the way and loaded one round in the mag. They say close the system a click at a time until the bolt locks open while firing one round out of a magazine. I did that then gave it an extra click. All is well ...... the protugese and HB ammo like the same setting.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
TTT
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The setting on mine is between 4 and 5 ....

I may have it closed a click or two too much ... the military brass slings out quite far while my lower powered handloads cycle with this setting, but the brass doesnt go very far.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The lower the number the higher the pressure ? Or the other way around?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The lower the number the higher the pressure ? Or the other way around?

The lower the number the more the vent hole is covered up therefore increasing the pressure in the gas system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top