Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 10:16:40 AM EDT
Has anyone ever applied a duracoat finish them selves to their FAL ?
I would like to hear the pro's and con's of using this stuff.
I am considering it for my post AWB project para folder and would like some feedback on their product.
Did you completely disassemble it to do it, any special things done in preparation for applying the colors that kind of thing.

Any input is appreciated...
w50g
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#1]
nevermind. I misread the thread title. I was thinking GunKote rather than Duracoat. I haven't used Duracoat.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Well.
I decided to skip the folder.
I know, I know.. but I had an AR receiver begging to be built.
BUT>>> I still did the camo job  Here are some pics of the parts after I got them coated.
Really not that hard at all.
But I did learn a lesson or two doing this.
the templates work incredibly well but you abosolutely must let each coat of color cure over night before applying the templates to spray the next color.
Well here's the pics maybe a little washed out but when I get it reassembled I will post a nother pic.
w50g
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok here they are...
It was originally going to be woodland but after a little spill of the green I HAD I ended up doing this.
Sort of a dark desert camo I guess. But heck I like it so far.

When I get it put back together I'll post a completed pic.
The dura coat was actually pretty easy to mix and use. Not as hard as I thought it was going to be.
I added the tan striped to it because when I went to remove the templates I didn't let it get dry enough and it pulled off alittle of the base coat. But I think it turned out ok.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The parts that have clear outlines look very good. The light colored "fuzzies" look like overspray.
What are your impressions of the durability of Duracoat?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, the stuff that looks like over spray is there because I messed up a little.
I didn't let the basecoat get cured enough befoire I put the templates on  and when they came off it pulled a littel of the coatoff.

I was out of brown so I just threw on some of the "fuzzys" to cover.
But Heck it was the first time I had ever used the stuff so I wasn't expecting perfection but I am very happy with it.
It looks much better in persona littel darker.. My flash really washed it out.

But next time I know exactly what to do to keep that  problem from happening again.

As for durability, all I can say is it coats well, and when allowed to dry properly it has a good feel to it and seems to be a very durable coating.

And from what I have seen so far, I will be using it again.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Good deal. I have learned that painting camo is a lot more difficult than I first thought. I also learned that few people will tell you the truth when you ask them for an opinion on such things. Such is not helpful when you are trying to learn how to do something.
Keep it up. You are doing fine. ( well, except for the fuzzies)
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, I appreciate that.
Hopefully the next project will be much better.
And yes you're right about askinghow hard it was.
But I guess sometimes you just have to jump in head first.
Up side is If I thought it had completely s*cked I had plenty of matte black to cover it with.

And yeah, if you do it right though, the templates will give a very defined pattern.
the hardest part is figuring out which way to layer it.
What color for a base then where to put out the templates.
But I think the next time, the base will get to dry over night, then each succeding coat will do the same.
that will probably yield much better results I think.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Here it is all finished...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow. I does look cool. Looking at the pistol grip, it looks like if you put down the base, then the fuzzies, then the templates, you would have a real winner.

Good job. If you do another one, be sure and post pics.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:34:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks good.  Hey, it kinda matches your carpet.  
Where did you get the templates?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Got the templates and camo paint from lauer weaponry's website.
I think they may sell the templates by them selves but I bought the kit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top