Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 4:43:20 PM EDT
Hey I know this is the FAL forum but I've got an L1A1 and am looking for some new funiture for it.
Specifically a folding stock. Found a new forearm for it at tapco I liked but Wouldn't mind getting one of the mount rail hand guards like I got for my FAL  from DSA if I knew it would fit.
can anybody help me out with links or info
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#1]
There aren't any folding stocks for the L1A1.  You'll have to use a complete metric para lower.  Due to the differences in the inch and metric lowers, the para stock won't fit on an inch (i.e. L1A1) lower.  You'll also need a para top cover and bolt carrier, as that's where the return spring is on the para.

I don't know if the handguards are interchangable inch to metric.  I think they are.  Just call DSA and ask if it will fit.

Don't forget that if you do put on a para stock, you still have to keep the correct amount of USA parts in the rifle to be legal.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info,
I was emailing wiht timj last night and he has gotten me on the right path just as you listed.
I ordered the para folder and internal pats kit and the mount rail cover from DSA.
Guess I need to email them back and see it has the necessary number of US parts in it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
wulf, you'll probably want DSA hammer, trigger, and sear. Additionally, you can add a cocking handle that's US made.

Show us pics when you are done
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#4]
HG's will interchange.

-hanko
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#5]
the para kit with internals should be 7 us parts (if it comes w/ US pistol grip):
lower
stock
carrier
pistol grip
H
T
S
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Man,
Thank all of you for all the info.
I do appreciate it and I will definitely post a pic of it when I get done.
This is one of the best thing sbaout this site, that you can ask questions and get the kinds of answers you need.
w50g
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been considering doing the same thing and just the other day I swapped my uppers and lowers around just to see if it was 100% feasable.  L1A1 lower w /FAL upper, FAL lower w/L1A1 upper.  Perfect function.  I'm ordering my folding stock soon.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
well I'm going to know soon enough.
got everything ordered the other day just waiting on it to come in so I can test fit it all together the pull it apart and give the duracoat a try.I'm pretty sure it's not going to be too easy but I've always wanted to try it so why not.
going to do some palyng with the extra black I got so I could get back used to an airbrush.
I posted another message to see if anyone had used the duracoat and put it on themselves but haven't gotten any responses yet.
Going to try the woodland camo.
got the all my colors and templates in the camo pak they offered. so once I get it all my stuff in I'll start posting up some pics of my progress, be ready Tim you may start getting a few emails.
w50g
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a general FYI, most Inch kits in the stases are built on Metric receivers. Meaning that lowers will swap, bolts and bolt carriers will fit, etc. I use a DSA Metric gas piston in my L1A1. You can even switch rear sights out.
Most small parts do not interchange-gas plug, the front sights and gas blocks are radically different, the lower parts-hammer, trigger, sear, do not interchange, although the L1A1 safety does with a bit of polishing-took five minutes, tops.
In this pic you can see a metric receiver with Inch barrel (Tapco HG's), Metric mag release, Inch selector, Metric para lower...Inch cocking handle (VOW) but a metric will fit fine...

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I got everything I needed ordered.
I went with the DSA US manufactured para folder kit, added in the E.D. mount rail cover, and the US manufactured lower parts kit so I should be covered on the number of US parts.

bad news is DSA contacted me today and let me know it was going to be sometime in October before everything would be ready to ship.
So my plans of having it done shortly just went

But I am vary satisfied with the way they have been handling my order and keeping me updated.
So soon as everything shows up I'll probably start a post showing the progress.
Till then w50g out.

edited for lousy spelling.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok..time for an update.
Decided to scrap the folder but go ahead with the camo job.
I decided I liked it better with the standard stock on it.
I've posted some pics of it here..
I don't have it back together yet.
But will post it when assembled.

69.95.2.67/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=7&t=176921
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top