Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 11:13:16 AM EDT
first off, the max distance at my range is 300 yards.

HAving said that, I need a scope for my new FAL.
She's an L1A1, and I'm thinking of these, or something like them:
4x24 M2 .308 Tactical Scope, black, CQB reticle   $399.00
ATN 2-6X40LU   $349.95  

Now, I have this that I'd like to use if I could:
Swift 1.5-4.5x32mm Premier Waterproof Matte Riflescope

Can I use the one I own, should i get a new one, which one?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I've made a number of ramblings about optics in the past.  I still maintain that eye relief is a bigger asset than most people think.  That includes the US military that seems to like the idea of its soldiers hunched up close behind an ACOG.  Personally, I want to keep both eyes open and I want the scope well away from my eye.  I want the magnification to be just enough to allow me to see reasonably well out to 300 yards, but not enough to cause a forced focus through the scope.  A 2.5X scope has enough magnification for 300 yard shooting, but little enough that you can keep both eyes open without shifting your focus all over the place.  There is just a 2.5X spot in the middle of your right eye's vision.

To this end, I have a strong preference for the Leupold M8 2.5X.  Besides having an eye relief of over 5", it is bright, crisp, durable and compact.  It weighs under 7 oz.  so it doesn't add a lot of bulk.  

If it were possible to solidly mount a scout scope, I'd even go with that.  Unfortunately, there really isn't a good scout scope solution for the FAL.  The 2.5X compact is as close as I've found that can use standard scope mounting.  Take some time and read up on the scout scope concept and you will learn a lot about what actually works in the field.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
the Leupold M8 2.5X doesn't look nearly tactical enough for my tastes...

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
the Leupold M8 2.5X doesn't look nearly tactical enough for my tastes...

Ahhh... OK.  Well, how about an Airsoft ACOG for when you're showing it off and something actually useful when you're not?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]
seriously.....  I just spent over 4000 dollars on the EE in two weeks (tripower, IOR, ARMS, upper, lower, FAL, lights, cases).  I think I'm gonna stick with the swift scope that I have.....  I have great rings for it too.  Now I just need inserts, oh well, WTB inserts.

It dials down to a pleasant 1.5.  I just wish it was illuminated.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
seriously.....  I just spent over 4000 dollars on the EE in two weeks (tripower, IOR, ARMS, upper, lower, FAL, lights, cases).  I think I'm gonna stick with the swift scope that I have.....  I have great rings for it too.  Now I just need inserts, oh well, WTB inserts.

It dials down to a pleasant 1.5.  I just wish it was illuminated.

$4000?  Hell, you're worse than me, and that's pretty bad!  Seriously though, the Swift will probably be all you really need.  The question to always ask is, what will it be used for?  If the answer is hunting, targets and the occasional CQB with zombies, the low variable power scope is the next best thing to a low but fixed power (durability issue only).  

To me, the ideal optic would be a compact ACOG in 3X with 5" of eye relief and a price tag of less than $500.  I don't see that happening any time soon though so my compromise was the Leupold.  I think your Swift is a fine choice as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Me, I'm just your regular armchair general (for now, that is.  I'm taking October NYPD exam .... ) who goes to range way too often.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top