Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 7:41:51 PM EDT
I am considering a carbine build and am wondering if it is truly practical to have a rifle in .308 with only a 17 inch barrel. My liking of this caliber stems from the fact that it is powerful and performs at distance. At the moment I have a 21 inch version as it fulfills this roll perfectly.

What kind of performance loss in terms of point of impact, velocity, and fragmentation (if that even occurs at 21 inches) occurs with a 17 inch barrel versus a standard 21? Also, would an M4 be better suited for a carbine role than the FAL? Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:27:19 AM EDT
[#1]
generally speaking you're going to lose about 25fps per inch of barrel you remove. the actual rate of loss per inch should be less initially and increase as you get closer and closer to the breech.
i believe (given equal barrel length) the 308 will have about twice the energy of  a 223 at the muzzle & 100 yards. nearly 3x at 200.
i don't know about the fragmentation.
which is better suited to carbine use? i guess that's a matter of opinion, with the exception of the tele-stock which has to be a plus for the M4.
tho i have no doubt the M4 is a fine carbine, i love my shorty (16.5") FAL (even if it does weigh more) & personally wouldn't trade it for an M4.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i love my shorty (16.5") FAL (even if it does weigh more) & personally wouldn't trade it for an M4.

That look almost exactly like the one I sold!!......I'm such a dumbass
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC your files threads were part of my inspiration. didn't you have a short stoll?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I 'm getting an 18 "FAL  from ORF soon . I believe this is a great length .

What is the Para FAL barrel length ?? Wasn't it about 18 ??

My 21 " was just a tad to long for my liking .
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
para barrels were 21 & about 17.5" IIRC
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I wasn't really worried about the velocity loss when I had the bbl. shortened to 17.5. I did it mostly to stow in the trunk of my little Hyundai. It's still not short enough to put it where I wanted it but it'll have to do.
M
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top