Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 8:10:41 AM EDT
Ok, now...

A complete-minus-reciever FAL kit from FAC goes for ~$!85

This presumably includes no US parts and a select-fire FCG.

So, I have to replace the hammer/trigger/sear for NFA compliance... That's 3 parts...

Build on a 'Coonan' reciever = 1 more part...

How many total do I need (objective would be to keep cost of US parts as low as possible, and not use any mag parts for US compliance)?

6 parts (eg 2 more)?

7 parts?

7 only if I put the flashider on?

Also, if I use a US flash-hider (any possible build would be on/after AWB Freedom Day, so all 'evil' bits would be left on), that DOES NOT need to be perm-affixed, right?

Also, is there a better kit in the $200 & under range than the Imbel kit FAC sells?

Does anyone sell a partskit without the extra parts (eg no stock, grip, trigger, hammer, sear, or handguards?)
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#1]
In your scenario you'll need 6 without a muzzle brake and 7 if you install one.  May I suggest mag floor plates, the cheapest of all compliance parts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is info on how I am doing mine, legal info, and a listing of tools and sources...

www.quarterbore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The answer is 7 if you're using any muzzle device.  The FCG doesn't have to be replaced for NFA compliance, but happens to be a set of US parts that are common.  Even the US HTS sets are FA compatible.  This isn't like the AR so get that out of your head when you're planning your build.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...and a select-fire FCG.

This is determined by the upper receiver, not the FCG. Available receivers are semi only.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Just to let you know that we recently sold out of the IMBEL parts kits we had been advertising. There is a kit offer from ammunitionstore.com being discussed on the FAL Files. This kit is from Africa and is priced at $150, including two metric 20 round mags. Also the FAL Files Marketplace forum usually has a good selection of kits being offered for sale.

For other U.S. made parts to reduce your imported parts count, you could use a piston ($25-$30) and pistol grip ($10-$15).

Harlan
FAC
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#6]
harlan! good to see you cruise this forum too.

Dave_A-
figure $165 give or take for a kit with shipping.
$210 for a receiver w/ship.
$150 to $200 for comliance parts depending on what combo you go for and wether your receiver counts or not- or you go with a muzzle device or not..
$100 to $200 for tools and/ or gunsmithing.
it ads up- $600 to $800 if you are very frugal, and then some of your kit parts will need to be upgraded. spread it over time and its not so bad. if you build it yourself you'll never have more fun!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Dave_A, I've got the FAL build books and video,LMK when you're ready to build I'll try to snag my reciever block.Next shoot I'll bring you a 'real' FAL to fire up.

BulletcatchR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top