Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 8:42:43 PM EDT
I quickly looked through the forum, but didn't see anything.  I've seen tons of .308 surplus on the market, so I guess I should get something to shoot it.  How complicated is building an FAL?  Which is the better way to go, metric or inch?  I've built a couple of AR's, and am in the process of an AK, is that enough background to tackle one of these?  I've seen a couple of different receivers, what's the consensus on these?  (Imbel, Century, Vulcan)  What's the difference in the Types of receivers?  Are the parts kits for an FAL similar to an AK, will I need to swap out enough parts to be 922 compliant?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
www.falfiles.com

No insult to ar15.com, but the shear volume of information available with the search function is unrivaled. Read through their forums.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:09:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.falfiles.com

No insult to ar15.com, but the shear volume of information available with the search function is unrivaled. Read through their forums.

Second that.

Make sure you do plenty of research before starting.  Some quick answers though to get you started:
How complicated is building an FAL?
I'd say the hardest part is attaching the barrel to the receiver.  Requires the proper tools and guages, it may be cheaper to just send it off to be built if you're just doing one.  Once that is done, depending on your parts kit, you may not even need any other tools.

I've built a couple of AR's, and am in the process of an AK, is that enough background to tackle one of these?
I built a FAL as my first gun.  Same idea, attach barrel, check headspace, make sure you have the proper US and semi-auto parts.

I've seen a couple of different receivers, what's the consensus on these? (Imbel, Century, Vulcan)
DSA & IMBEL: best
Entreprise: their claim is that their receivers are made to require individual fitting for a more precise FAL. (I think its just an excuse for sloppy machine work.)
Vulcan: =Hesse (do your own search, I'm not going to touch that with a 10 ft stick. Suffice to say I have a buddy that has his third non-functioning Hesse being used as a door stop.)

What's the difference in the Types of receivers?
I assume you mean type I, type II, etc.   Simply the amount of machining involved.  Type I being the lightest weight with the most machining and Type III is the heaviest with the least machining. (Radius cuts etc.)  Should only be of any real concern if you are trying to build a specific make of FAL.

Are the parts kits for an FAL similar to an AK, will I need to swap out enough parts to be 922 compliant?
Yes.  Some suppliers will provide kits with the parts already swapped out.  Or you can buy a kit with just all the proper US parts to supplement whichever kit you wish.
The two big US parts makers are FSE and DSA.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont forget the Coonan recievers.  Thery're the best IMO. I've built 2 on Imbels and 2 on Coonans.  Actually I'm in the process of finishing my 4th.  I have had problems with the Imbels "bottoming out"  meaning theat the breech face of the barrel reaches the back of the rec. before the barrel hits TDC.  I've also read of a few others who had this problem with the Imbels.  To be fair though, Imbel is said to have fixed this matter with their 04 marked rec's, Mine were 02 and 03.  Ive never had any problems with my Coonans nor have I read of any.  

I guess that the ultimate choice depends on wether you like the type 1's  or type 3's  I like them both but tend to lean towards the type 1's, especially for STG's or G1's since thats the type they originally had.   I think the lightening cuts are more for looks than "lightening".  I'm not sure of exactly how much weight is lost but its not much.  

Anyway, check FAC for the best price on either the Coonan or Imbel recievers.  They also still have some kits left I think.

Here is a good reference for your build too.  Its got detailed step-bystep instructions.
www.wecsog.org/fal/carbine/

And of course the falfiles.com/forums is an invaluable resource.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Those websites are a huge help.  I'm off to buy a parts kit and a receiver.  I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Those websites are a huge help.  I'm off to buy a parts kit and a receiver.  I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Not a problem.  Welcome to the FAL side.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Make sure you check the Gunsmithing forum.  There is likely a person in your area with the tools that will help you build it.  Most of us charge a 6 pack for the effort.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I built up an Imbel receiver (type 3) with a DSA metric STG58 kit.  My “USA” parts came from FAC and Gunthings.com I was lucky to have a gunsmith be there to answer any questions, but the only area I need help was the barreling and the locking shoulder.  

Getting the proper timing on the barrel is making sure the front site is at 12 o’clock (I took time to make sure it was perfect).  This requires some special tool like a receiver wrench etc.  

My friend had a wide selection of locking shoulders and a set of tools for checking for the correct diameter.  This sets your “Head Space”.  This also needs to be done by or with someone who has done it before.  

One last “tool” is the Butt stock tool…worth the $6.

The rest is just “wrenching” it together.  It was something I always want to build.  An excellent rifle that is a pleasure to shoot.  I recommend having the “hard stuff” done for you, but I is worth the trouble…or buy a kick butt DSA…
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#8]
fals are easy, very very easy

"you need help, here i am"
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Make sure you check the Gunsmithing forum.  There is likely a person in your area with the tools that will help you build it.  Most of us charge a 6 pack for the effort.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Do I want to do a metric or an inch build?  Any advantages/disadvantages of either?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do I want to do a metric or an inch build?  Any advantages/disadvantages of either?  

You really want a metric right now due to NO quality receivers being built in inch.  Metric mags are a lot cheaper too.  Tons of metric parts out there too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Not that hard to build yourself.  I put one together on an Imbel receiver, and timing/torqueing the barrel was the hardest part.  You need a receiver wrench, a very large crescent wrench, a sturdy vice, and .308 headspace gauges.  And that's just doing it the WECSOG way...  Mine came out fine, and is a good shooter.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You really want a metric right now due to NO quality receivers being built in inch.  Metric mags are a lot cheaper too.  Tons of metric parts out there too.

I'm looking at buying an L1A1 right now. I'm new to FAL's myself. Seller told me:

"this is an imbel metric receiver with everything else inch. this setup allows you to use metric mags which is great seeing inch mags are very hard to come by."

Is it possible to be both metric and inch?

I know jack shiite about FAL type rifle, but i'm learning. slowly.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm looking at buying an L1A1 right now. I'm new to FAL's myself. Seller told me:

"this is an imbel metric receiver with everything else inch. this setup allows you to use metric mags which is great seeing inch mags are very hard to come by."

I know jack shiite about FAL type rifle, but i'm learning. slowly.

My CIA built L1A1 is built on an Imbel reciever and is cut for both mags

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Anyway, check FAC for the best price on either the Coonan or Imbel recievers.  They also still have some kits left I think.

Here is a good reference for your build too.  Its got detailed step-bystep instructions.
www.wecsog.org/fal/carbine/

And of course the falfiles.com/forums is an invaluable resource.

Thanks for that link David,
I'm building my first FAL lower and any help will be needed.
w50g
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Inch receivers will accept both inch and metric mags,though metric mags wobble a bit due to the front locking lug not engaging,but they function fine.Metric receivers accept only metric mags. Early on when Fal parts kits were first being imported Inch was everywhere but that has most definetly changed,Metric parts,mags and receivers are cheap,readily available and make up the vast majority of builds today.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

inch parts can be used on metric receivers. beyond cosmetics the main differences are the mag cut, charging handle cut (inch used folding handle vs. metric knob ) and the BHO hole diameter.
inch stub on left:

so you could say it's a Mench. or an Intric.
once they cut em, they're all frankenfals
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I just did my first FAL last weekend and I have been busy with other projects to get a full narative up but I did list out the Parts, Tools, and Laws and you can see the info here:

quarterbore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29

Here is a pic of my first FAL and while it is more complicated then an AR-15 it isn't hard to do as long as you have the tools and I STRONGLY SUGGEST getting the video from Arizona Respons Systems!!!

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#19]
DO look in the R&D Forum at the "EUREKA" thread. Then go look at the Gunsmithing Forum and RKBA Forum for any sticky labeled "FAQS". They have some nice organization going on.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#20]
There are a few sources for relatively inexpensive metric pattern kits. Having built on several, I would strongly suggest getting an StG58 kit from DS Arms. IMBEL kits are fine and usually have very good barrels and the parts are of good quality. The R1 ( Rhodesian/South African) kits are also good quality, but a very well used. Getting a good barrel with an R1 kit is the exception. The StG58 kits however, are the tops. The StG58s were the very best F A Ls made and saw very little actual military use. The barrels are exceptional in quality and performance.  In my opinion, the StG58 kits are the best bargain on the market now.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I too have built several FAL's and the FAL was the first gun I built, the only thing I like about the inch is the sight picture, charging handle, selector, and mag release.  The sight picture in my opinion allows for faster target aquisition.  I will be shooting my metric build at Knob Creek in the assault weapons match. The AR guys will probably beat me on time, but I don't like guns just sitting in the closet not doing anything, got to shoot them somewhere.  I put my last one together, an inch one in about 45 min.  I didn't try for speed I just have it down, everything went pretty smooth on it.  I also, built all my own tools receiver wrench and timming tool, etc... the FALFILES is the place for info, and many will answer dumb questions without spanking you to hard.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top