Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 10:08:21 AM EDT
OK, I showed this kit earlier on another thread and now cause of you guys I am gonna  build this.

But, I have some questions I need answered.

1)  Do I have to remove that suppressor/brake/whatever is on the barrel?  I don't see a bayo lug (just looking at picture - the kit is  again stashed in garage).  Can I keep it as is?

2)  Assuming I can keep the above, would this meet the 7 parts count?  
1-trigger
2-hammer
3-sear
4-pistol grip
5-reciever
6-gas piston
7-op rod

If ZI can leave the barrel assembly as is then I think I can built this pretty cheap.

I need  a reciever - probably Coonan $200
6 parts kit FSE stuff $107
$100 gunsmithing (I ain't gonna barrel and headspace)

Seem about right?  Or am I being chicken in not doing the barrel and headspace?

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That thing on the barrel is a flash suppressor AND a grenade launcher.  And the barrel is threaded too.  

DSA takes these same parts and cleans them up to make their rifles.  Maybe you can send the kit to them and have them put it onto one of their receivers for a decent price.

Don't use any of the other rebuilders.  They're worse.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Go hang out here,www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php there are some excellent smiths, that can do a build.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#3]
You could wait until september or have a fake pinned in place.  With the latter you could have it removed if the ban expires.

Your right about your parts count.  I guess you know that the oprod is what most of us would refer to as the charging handle.

Good luck finding coonans at $200.  Most of them i've seen are $250.  You can find Imbels at around $200 of course Imbels don't count as a US part.  And then after shipping and transfer fee you can probably figure on another $40-70.

I like the STG look and have built one myself.  Many complain about problems with the metal HGs heating up.  I've not had a problem but i don't dump 5 mags through as fast as i can pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:25:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn.  I don't want to remove the flash hider.  OK.  if I wait til the AWB sunsets, do I need ANY US parts to build it or can I do as I please (excepting full auto of course).

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:57:30 AM EDT
[#5]
You need 6 US made parts if you have a "nekkid" muzzle, or 7 if you have a "muzzle device."

After Sept. next year you will get to use the flash suppressor but you will still need to meet the US parts count. That comes under a different ban. That's the '88(?) import ban signed by Bush1. It doesn't expire like Slick Willie's AWB.

It looks like you have a good handle on what you're needing for US parts. And the falfiles is full of great guys who'll be glad to help you out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You need 6 US made parts if you have a "nekkid" muzzle, or 7 if you have a "muzzle device."

After Sept. next year you will get to use the flash suppressor but you will still need to meet the US parts count. That comes under a different ban. That's the '88(?) import ban signed by Bush1. It doesn't expire like Slick Willie's AWB.

It looks like you have a good handle on what you're needing for US parts. And the falfiles is full of great guys who'll be glad to help you out.

89 ban, actually, but you got the rest of it.  FWIW, I believe TAPCO sells US made flash hiders that look just like the one in the picture and muzzle brakes that resemble them to an extent.

Edited to add:  One more thing....That handguard is probably metal.  Allow me to advise you that those bad boys get HOT.  If you can get a synthetic handguard (TAPCO also sells synthetic bi-pod cut handguards), you'd probably be better off.  And no, I don't work for TAPCO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top