Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2003 8:29:25 AM EDT
Hello all, I've been into firearms for years, but just recently I've started researching into FALs. They have a good record, and I am thinking about building one. I have a decent source for an upper receiver, and I've been checking this forum trying to find parts kits. Thanks to all your footwork, I know how many compliance parts, etc, I need. My only question now is: if I mount a US made muzzle-brake on the issue threaded barrel and have 6 other US parts, is that sufficient, or will I run into the AWB because of the pistol grip+High capacity mags.+threaded barrel?? I don't personally agree with all the laws we have, but I'm going to obey them just the same. Any feedback would be great for a newbie like myself in the FAL world. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome aboard dar48.

You will need 6 US made parts, 7 if you use a muzzle device to comply with current laws. Also, if the muzzle is threaded then the device must be permanently attached. The only legal methods are welding, high temp. silver solder or pinning and welding. With pinning and welding you drill a blind hole, usually offset from the bore and drive a pin through the brake and side of the barrel then weld over the pin. Grind down the weld and refinish.

You won't run into problems with the pistol grip+High capacity mags.+threaded barrel because you've used enough US made parts. Foreing rifles can't have more than 10 certain parts, of which FAL's have 17. By using the US made parts you are in essence building a US made rifle.

Some of the guys here, me included, hang out at the FalFiles.com. There is a whole wealth of info over there. And very good people too.

Good luck on your project.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Fruit,let me get this straight.Are you saying I can have a threaded barrel on my FAL if its all US parts?Like a DSA SA 58?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Fruit,let me get this straight.Are you saying I can have a threaded barrel on my FAL if its all US parts?Like a DSA SA 58?

Fluke, if you're building a gun without a MB, you need 6 US parts.  With a MB, you need 7, one of which can be the MB.

-hanko
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.Sorry I missed the permanantly attached part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top