Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2003 4:02:03 PM EDT
Decided to build my first FAL, than buy it.

Need to know who has the best FAL kits right now.  Looking to keep the entire rifle price under $700, but that price includes a new barrel from DSA.

TIA

edited to correct my horrible grammar mistakes
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Decided to build my first FAL, then buy it.

Need to know who has the best FAL kits right now.  Looking to keep the entire rifle price under $700, but that price includes a new barrel from DSA.

TIA

DSA has the best kits the STG58 kits. You are dreaming if you think you are going to build a FAL for under $700.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Try here: www.gunthings.com/
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#3]
M&A has like new STG-58 kits for $350., which you will not need to change the barrel.
FAC has Imbel Gear logo receivers on sale $279.95.
Throw in enought USA to get you legal, and you will be close to your $700 mark, but still lack tools, and the final parkerizing.

Or just order a DSA STG-58a from FAC from the start for $795, and you will not have to find tools, or have to wait for the rifle to be parkerized.

link
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Decided to build my first FAL, then buy it.

TIA

DSA has the best kits the STG58 kits. You are dreaming if you think you are going to build a FAL for under $700.

If I can not build it for under $700, how can some companies sell them for under $600?  Ohio Rapidfire has them for under $600 to start.  

FAC Imbel Receiver $179 on sale
M&A FAL Kit $350
FAC Combo Kit $108 (US compliant part)
Parts total $637.00

Tools got'em or have access to them.
Park........Free!

So at this price the new barrel is not included, but from what others have said in this thread, I will not need a new barrel if I go with the M&A kit.

Thanks for the hint about the DSA STG58 from FAC though. I will look into that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
You can also reduce the pirce a great deal by buying a cheaper, used kit, and adding what parts you want new.  If you're going to use US compliant trigger group, stocks, gas piston, etc. then those parts really don't have to be new.  You can find used kits with bad barrels for $150 and get a brand new barrel for $100 easy.  That would knock $100 off your price to begin with.  It all depends on what you want in the end.  If it has to be ALL NEW, then great, go for it.  You'll have a great FAL at still a great price.  If you're reparking everything to match anyway, a kit with finish wear but no damage that's much cheaper than "new" isn't a bad idea, especially when you need to use a bunch of brand new US internal/stock parts anyway.  

I personally like "new" and "used" both.  Each has it's own "charm".

Building a FAL is easy enough, and you have the pleasure of actually building your rifle.  That's actually a plus in my book.

Ross
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#6]
It always turns out cheaper to buy a parts kit gun then build one. Forget about what you have read, you will not be able to barrel the receiver. I have built several, trust me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It always turns out cheaper to buy a parts kit gun then build one. Forget about what you have read, you will not be able to barrel the receiver. I have built several, trust me.

If you have done it, why can't I?

Parts kit gun?  Are you referring to a kit that has all the parts, including the receiver with the barrel all ready installed and headspaced.  That would be a neat trick.  Gotta get me one of them.  Not sure if a company would sell a kit that has the barrel installed and I assemble the rest.

That DSA STG58 from FAC is looking better every minute.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#8]
The DSA is a known, high-quailty gun that you can't go wrong with.  That's why people just throw that up as their "help" when you ask what you need to do to BUILD a FAL.

I think DSA makes a great product, but I don't like the configuration of the gun, and would wind up changeing some things anyway, so it makes more sense for me to build one.  

There's no reason you can't barrel a reciever yourself.  Nor any reason you can't build one yourself.  About the only gun easier to build is an AR.

As for cost, it depends on how you want to go.  Just like building an AR, you can get away really cheap, or pay a couple thousand for all sorts of features.  I've built them for under $400. Just last month there were several FALs that board members built for sale for under $500 on the EE.  

The DSA complete gun IS worth the price they ask for it.  If you want to build one though, then build one.  

I'd suggest you get yourself over to the FAL Files board and soak up some knowledge there.
FALFiles

Ross
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The STG kit from DSA is so close to new and perfect that you probably will not ever need to refinish it and you certainly will not have to swap out the barrel.  Get FSE fire control parts, a Coonan receiver (DO NOT GET IMBEL unless you are into self torture and have a large selection of files), plus a charging handle and pistol grip and you're good to go.

STG kit:  $300
HTS from FSE:  $50
Coonan receiver:  $200
Tapco PG and charging handle:  $50
Total:  $600 plus shipping
Satisfaction of rolling your own:  Priceless!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top