Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2003 4:55:44 PM EDT
I took a chance and came up with a draw.  I bought an FAL built on a very nice Imbel GW receiver using Israeli parts.  Paid $400 out the door.

Took it to a good FAL mechanic.  It doesn't have any US parts.  Additionally, the handguards spring in and out badly.  The mech said that the guards are missing two spring clips that go around the gas tube.  Where can I get one of those?

Also, I might be needing a a new gas tube.  I know I need a US piston.  The rifle will cycle only when the setting is between the 9 and the 1.  Not knowing if a new piston will fix this, I need to line up a source for the tube and I guess for the plug.  Where can I get these?

I will also have to get a US p-grip, fcg, and safety level (mine is a little buggered).  Other parts needed are the charging handle and a buttstock to match the handguard.

The kit is a heavy barrel Izzy.  I would also like a bi-pod.  First I need the source and then I need to generate the money.

I am still tickled with the rifle.  I just want it legal and attractive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mahatma

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
DSA has GI and USA mfg'ed Izzy parts.

TAPCO has GI and USA mfg'ed Izzy parts.

SARCO has GI parts---may have handguard spacer.

Note---Gas plug and piston on Izzy's are unique. People mix & match these parts. Make sure you have correct parts. The piston is longer. You can use standard metric gas cyl tho.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Try www.gunthings.com

Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, everyone, for the info.  I am tickled to own an FAL.  I have many other SA weapons.  Only the FAL seems to lack detractors.  I had toyed with the idea of getting an M1A, but I didn't want another Chinese weapon and the USA made ones are quite expensive and have a bad reputation for failure.

I have a couple of AK types, but they aren't MBRs.  Besides, accuracy is a bonus with an AK, and not to be expected.

I have an AR type, but it can't compare to the ballistics of the .308.

SKSs are great, but again, they are carbines and not MBRs.

My Garand is great, but my choices in ammo are either expensive or corrosive.  Anyway, the old girl needs to be treated with respect, given her 1942 birthdate.

My little M1 carbine is a deadly short range plinker, but again, not an MBR.

The FAL has been the butt-kicking right arm of the free world.  If it was good enough for the Aussies in Nam and the Israelis in the Holy Badlands, dang sure good enough for me.

Regards,
Mahatma
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a US gas piston and a DSA pistol grip that ain't doin' nothin'.
AB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top