Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2003 6:52:45 PM EDT
I want to put together a fal with wood funiture so I can have another configured differently from my STG58.
I have an Imbel kit and will probably use an Imbel reciever.
I know I don't have an Izzy kit but can I do an Izzy clone easily enough with these?
I'm not looking to really duplicate an Izzy, but to go with the basic look.
I was also wondering if an exotic hardwood was available kinda like them nice iron wood products that seem no longer available?
I really don't care for that tigerwood look and the Izzy wood just seems kinda to plain. Are there any other options?
Any of you have any suggestions or pics of your Izzy type clones?
Thanks.
Mechandy
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:33:11 AM EDT
[#1]
www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90212

YES. you can easily build an izzy clone.
im building my second FAL now which will be an izzy clone carbine. i just got a set of izzy HB h'guards from DSA and they they are in exellent shape. although after putting them on a LB, i think that you do need the spacers.  it looks a little weak and i dont want to take any chances.  im also going to get a few of the "details" of an izzy to put on it like the izzy magcatch and CH, i dont think there is a way to rig a standard metric to take a izzy gas plug or id get one of those too.    
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet pics.
Thanks davidp14.
An Izzy clone carbine is just what I'm thinking about.
My STG58 has had its barrel shortened in a big way with a brake on the end and that baby is a loud ass flame thrower.Accurate with the stock sights as all Hell though.
I'm thinking of going plain end on this build or with at least some that has a milder report.
I think that the flames and a post ban carbine are just the way it is,with Port anyways.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
my imbel that i recently finished has a plain end, 18" barrel and it shoots flames about a foot long with the SA surplus, the aussie surplus is not bad at all though, i havent shot any of the port so is dont know about that.

for the izzy clown im gonna put a dsa sa58 brake on it, i want it to be as close to 16" OAL as possible, as in just the brake sticking out from the h'guards.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Another option is the euro walnut that is out there:

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=EWFS&storeid=1&image=woodset.gif

I believe a couple of other places carry it as well, but I think pricing is pretty similar.   You are right on the Izzy wood, usually has little to no grain.  I do like the more unique shape of the HG's, however, and the short wood goes well with a carbine lenth barrel.  

Rocko
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:25:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Not a very good pic but here is my Izzy LB clone wannabee frankenFAL.  Izzy furniture, G1 lower, 16.25" IMBEL barrel with Tapco 10 port brake built on an IMBEL ngl receiver by myself.  The only thing I didn't do was shorten the barrel, silver solder the brake and Parkerize it.

I'm contemplating some type of red dot scope or possibly a Tri-Lux once x-mas is over.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Mechandy, how about just a plain G1 with wood stock and pistol grip, the G1 also has a plain barrel so no worries with the brake on the end.

Seth if that is a bad picture the IZZY must be beautiful cause I think the picture looks great.  Good Job on the build.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Lookin' fer wood ya say?

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Or maybe this strikes your fancy.

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#9]
i was wondering when cliffy was gonna chime in w/ his zebrawood.

cliffy,
any word on him making the handguards?

that para/izzy is the stuff of my wet dreams, i need to drive up just so i can fondle that one!  
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn...now that's what I'm talkin about.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:02:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Cliffy, are you making those stocks?? What's the cost???
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#12]
cliffy is on vacation, so ill answer for him.

NO. he is not the one making them.  a guy on the falfiles is making them. i think his name is mistergj and im not sure he is still making them at all.  it IS the nicest furniture i have ever seen though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#13]
David is correct on all counts.  MisterJG is the guy who made them and while he isn't advertising now, I don't think you'd have to prod him much to get him to do another.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top