Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2003 10:24:11 PM EDT

So what's the minimum US parts count ??

I've got a DSA receiver I'm ready to finally finish a build on & I have some US made parts in addition to Austrian, Belgian & Argentine parts.

How many of the USA parts do I need on this thing to be BATF compliant

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Six. Seven if you have a muzzle device.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Six. Seven if you have a muzzle device.

Thanks!!  

I plan on using a DSA muzzle-brake so I guess
7 is the magic number.

Handguards count as 1 or 2 parts ??
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Handguards count as 1.  Actually, what you are doing is not so much adding US parts to make a quota, you are removing foreign parts to keep yourself below 10 from "the list".  That list is posted somewhere around here.  The FAL has 16 or 17 (depending on muzzle device) so you have to remove that many to be import ban compliant.  

The most common items to remove/replace are the hammer, trigger, sear, pistol grip, forend (handguards), butt stock, charging handle, gas piston, upper receiver or lower receiver.  Since you're building on a DSA and have the forend and will have a naked muzzle, all you need is 4 more parts.  An HTS set and pistol grip will do the trick.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Handguards count as 1.  Actually, what you are doing is not so much adding US parts to make a quota, you are removing foreign parts to keep yourself below 10 from "the list".  That list is posted somewhere around here.  The FAL has 16 or 17 (depending on muzzle device) so you have to remove that many to be import ban compliant.  

The most common items to remove/replace are the hammer, trigger, sear, pistol grip, forend (handguards), butt stock, charging handle, gas piston, upper receiver or lower receiver.  Since you're building on a DSA and have the forend and will have a naked muzzle, all you need is 4 more parts.  An HTS set and pistol grip will do the trick.  

THANKS!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#5]
i went the cheapest route possible for US parts:
pistol grip
FSE H/T/S
mag floorplates
TAPCO gas piston

this allowed me to kjeep my origianl stock and h'guards, which i painted a real nice OD.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
FSE H/T/S

Where's the best place to get FSE parts ?
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#7]
i got mine from moses at falfiles.com for $47 shipped.  that was a group buy though, i think its $52 shipped now, but thats still about the best buy around.  everywhere else is about $50 plus 9 or 10 $ shipping.

besides moses is a independant seller and id always rather support them first
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i got mine from moses at falfiles.com for $47 shipped.  that was a group buy though, i think its $52 shipped now, but thats still about the best buy around.  everywhere else is about $50 plus 9 or 10 $ shipping.

besides moses is a independant seller and id always rather support them first

THANKS again!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
1) Frame
2) Barrel
3) Muzzle attachment
4) Bolt
5) Bolt carrier
6) Gas piston
7) Trigger housing
8) Operating rod (in reality this is the charging handle and not an op-rod but that's how our government sees it)
9) Trigger
10) Hammer
11) Sear
12) Buttstock
13) Pistol grip
14) Handguard
15) Magazine body
16) Magazine follower
17) Magazine floorplate

Patrick
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#10]
ARS

Good guy, fast shipping.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The sights would not count as a part for compliance purposes?
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope.  Nor would springs, top covers, scope mounts, butt pads or pins.  Just those items from the list patrick posted.  You must keep youself to no more than 10 EFPs  (evil foreign parts).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top