Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2003 5:37:20 AM EDT
What would change the headspace in a FAL. If I put in a new/referbished bolt and carrier would this affect headspacing?
Or is it to do with the barrel or ????
I have had this Fal, its a half and half by the look of it an L1A1 on a meteric reciever.
I didnt know you could mix parts though!
I referbished the metalwork and put a wood furniture set I refinished on it. Doesnt look bad but its no master peice. Shoots ok though.
I assume there is a meteric and an Inch pattern bolt carrier. Can you mix them or is one larger than the other?
I would be interested.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:47:53 AM EDT
[#1]
headspace is made up of a combination of bolt and chamber.  you change the bolt you change the headspace.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:54:23 AM EDT
[#2]
So i shouldnt change the bolt and carrier, I should just refinish the original one that is with the rifle then?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I should just refinish the original one that is with the rifle then?

that's what i would do.  how many thousand rounds do you think were fired thru the rifle.  maybe it's out of tolerance and needs a new bolt?  if you are concerned i would have your local gunsmith headspace it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:31:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought the locking shoulder controls the headspace?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]
First of all, there is little chance that changing your bolt or carrier will affect headspace.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't check it though, because in theory, it could.  If you have the one out of 1000 that headspace did change, you would need to change your locking shoulder to the correct size.

I've checked several different rifles of mine and none have had any difference in HS due to different bolts and carriers.  That doesn't mean it can't happen though.

Your bigger concern should be the rifle itself.  I removed a barrel from a Century inch gun this week and discovered the only thing holding it on was the gas tube.  The barrel was only hand tight.  Now there's something that will affect headspace!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The headspace is the relationship with the chamber the bolt and the locking shoulder. It is usually adjusted by changing the locking shoulder.  You need a set of guages to determine the right shoulder.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an L1A1 from Century and the barrel was hand tight.  It has been fixed, but the REALLY SCARY THING WAS I ALREADY SHOT IT!  Thank god it did not move enough to blow.  

My new motto: Buy a HS guage and check it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top