Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2003 10:32:55 AM EDT
Hunter223, found your video inspiring. I bought an STG58 from DSA and it is truly remarkable. The one problem is that I've become spoiled by my AR-15 triggers, which have received the home "trigger job" detailed in the AR Discussion. Anyway, the STG58 trigger is horrendous! Can anyone out there tell me HOW TO improve an FAL trigger, that is, besides sending it to DSA with $115?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
DSA only says it will "improve" the trigger.  They don't specify a weight or anything.  The problem is that plunger type mechanism used in FAL types.  Not a lot anyone can do to improve it.  If yours is a SA58 and not the STG58 all the parts a new and will need some time to break in and smooth out.  Will you ever get a two stage match trigger out of it, no, but it will improve and you will get use to it.  I'm sure you know all the reasons why a large battle rifle like the FAL has such a stiff trigger in the first place.  Keep it greased and use it as much as you can afford and it will get better, mine did.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Visit the FAL Files on a regular basis.

There is a member there (his name eludes me) in the process of manufacturing an improved trigger group.

Prototype models have been pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hunter223, found your video inspiring.

Thanks

HUNTER.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a couple of tricks to "improve" it but you'll never get it really nice until Harold Shinn at FSE comes out with his 2 stage trigger.  

1.  Polish the pins.
2.  Polish the pin holes.
3.  carefully polish the sear and hammer engagement.  Do not change the angle and use a flat stone.  You're only trying to remove any parkerizing on these parts.
4.  Replace the trigger return spring with a sear spring.  There is a risk with this one.  Your trigger may not return without a nudge.  One of the 4 I have had this problem, but it reduced the pull by 3 pounds on the others.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I would hold off polishing the pins and the holes they go in. Any material removed will cause sloppiness. All you want to make sure of here is that there are no burrs on anything.

As Cliffy points out, you can reduce the spring weight of the trigger return spring, but be careful with that. You don't want to put it on the edge and have it not reset on you at an important moment.

Lastly, the DSA hammers have a lot of sear engagement. This makes them safe, but makes the trigger pull long and creepy. Swap out the hammer for an original STG-58 or Imbel model that has a reduced hammer notch and that will help drastically.

You can also polish the sear nose and the hammer notch as we do on stock AR triggers and smooth the feel out a lot. A buffing pad with some jewelers rouge works wonders here. Smoothing the surfaces takes the grittiness out. I wouldn't touch the sear surfaces with a stone unless I had a jig so that the angles are kept straight and proper.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#6]
To say DSA hammers have a lot of sear engagement is an understaement. I have had to take the fron of the sear down a couple of times. there was no way it would let go otherwise. A few hundred rounds later and no problems. I have come to believe DSA makes everything a little fat including barrel shoulders. How many times have you guys had to take the front of the sear down a bit?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top