Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2003 7:00:22 PM EDT
I want to put glass on my FAL.  What kind of mounts should I get for it?  I'd really like a quick detach mount, if possible. I'm hoping it won't cost too much.

Thanks,
Patrick
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Tapco makes a couple versions of a topcover replacement that has rails machined into it.  I've heard good things about them.  You could swap the mount for a regular topcover, or get some QD rings.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm using an ARMS rail (replaces the top cover and fits VERY tight) and ARMS #22L (low) rings to mount a Leupold Vari-X II.  Everything is rock solid.  I have removed the QD rings and even the ARMS rail several times and everything has returned to zero without fail.

You will pay for the ARMS stuff, but I think it's worth it.  I got the ARMS rail from a friend on the board (thanks, Bradd!) for cheap, but they are usually around $130 I believe.  MSTN has the ARMS rings and, if needed, the 30mm to 1" spacers.  Spacers are $29 and rings are $109.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:59:21 AM EDT
[#3]
You need a rail mount to replace the dust
cover,  DSA sells a good one for $68.00

Then just get your choice of quick detach rings.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is our versions of the FAL Scope Mount. Good quality at a great price!

Our latest creation has the best of the best. Securely mounted by the locking rails, it will work on Metric and Inch receivers. Lighter in weight, 0.535 pounds, this new mount has a lower weaver rail that will permit the use of iron sights when using see through rings. In the center of that lowered rail is a groove cut specifically to accept the after market "T-Bars" so you will be able to mount your SUIT easier than before. There are lightning cuts on the sides that mirror the image of the military metal hand guards and a larger ejection port to help eject brass more efficiently.

Price is $29.99

Our newest addition has ALL the best features at the lowest price. Brand new production that fits both inch and metric receivers. It has an ultra high tech, positive frame locking system with no removable rails! It slides on just like the original military version and doesn't scratch your receiver. It is made of aircraft grade aluminum alloy and sports a Mil-Spec Picatinny rail on top. It uses standard .308 stripper clips (MAG2406, sold separately), which is loved by all but especially great for you CA residents as you can load mags from the top! All in all, we believe that this is hands down, the best, most advanced Weaver style mount to ever hit the market. ONLY at TAPCO!

Price is $79.99

Tony Collins
(800) 250 3757 ext 109
www.TAPCO.com
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help guys! I'm gonna root around and pick up some QD rings before I decide on a mount.

Patrick
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a look at some of the QD rings out there.  If I'm not mistaken, the Leupold's guaranty something like within 1/4" return to zero.  My ARMS, which DO cost more, return to true zero (or at least the difference is so minute you can't tell it).

Ask around and shop around.  And not just on this board.  Hit the falfiles.com board and ask around.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the tapco model, and it is functionally very good.  Only problem, is the metal seems a bit soft.  I have my gas system adjusted properly...but the shells have made a few nice dents in the cover, and made a few nice silver parts.

I am going to gunkote it,  and hopefully that will "protect" the metal a bit more.

For the price they ask, you can't complain.  I just wish it were a bit tougher.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Marksman,
You can cut a small piece of the fuzzy side of a strip of self-adhesive velcro and apply it to the area where the brass hits.

Works great...

By the way, I use the DSA mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top