Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2003 12:00:01 PM EDT
Got one for $350.00 . Shoots great(for me) 5 to 6 inch groups @ 100m . Had some earlier cylcling problems but an easy fix . My question is are these the guns that are blowing up???
  Second question; It came with a C more aluminum (crappy) scope rail . What is a reasonable price for an OEM dust cover to replace it ?
  Third question;Is it inch , metric , and how can I tell who made it originally . All the old
parts have matching #s so I do not think it is made out of more than one gun .
  Many thanks for any info !!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
i have one of their l1a1 abominations.

The upper<barrell, bolt and such is standard. The lower <trigger parts locking shoulder and such is metric.>

Mine had pretty bad headspace problems and the finish was basically horrible. Got a buddy to camo it and had the head space fixed. Now it's a good looking rifle. It shhots as tight as most DSA rifles now that it has been fixed and refinished. If was going to do it over i'd probobly just by a dsa and have it perfect out of the box.

mike

I really liked the "FINGER" on the stock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks  guy !! I ain't bitching but you're the only reply I got . I reposted another message hoping to get more. Know anything about exploding receiverss on these or is it just Hesse ?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
mine is on a hesse. the only thing i have heard is there was someone making an alluminum? reciever. or at least some kind of alloy that was not steel.

Those were cracking around the locking shoulder. Read this a few years ago over on the FAL files. From what i have read CAI is now making their own recievers.

The biggest problems i have seen with them have been obviously shit manufacturing techniques. If you buy one have a smith check it out. Good ones run fine. Bad ones can be a money pit. On the bright side CAI will eventually make it right but you may have to ship it back a few times.

mike
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]
It was a Williams aluminum receiver that was blowing up.  These are called the WAC, alumibomb, combat elite or just Williams.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Century L1A1, very old model all L1A1 parts on a metric Made In Canada receiver.  Has given me zero problems.  No, she ain't as pretty as a DSA, but she is just as reliable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top