Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2003 7:56:56 PM EDT
I've been offered a preban Argentine FNFAL with 11 new FN mags for $1000. Rifle is in about 99% condition and the bore is mint. Is this a good price?

Thanks

Update:

Serial Number of the Lower is 02284
Serial Number of the Upper is X01501

Other markings:

FSL CAL. 7.62X51
LSR .308 WIN
FMAP "DM" ROSARIO
INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA

There is a very small import mark that must be viewed under a magnifying glass that reads: iported by SAC Latta, S.C.

So my guess is that its a potential non-compliant postban import. The guy that has it is a friend and it was sold to him as a preban but he's more "FAL ignorant" than me. THe finish on the receivers matches perfect and the rifle shoots/functions great.

So whats a reasonable price to pay especially if I'm going to have to buy US made parts to get it in "correct" form? Or should I pass and get a DSA rifle?

Also, is there a web site that I can direct him to where he can verify for himself that he got screwed? (I think its best if he verify it for himself)

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is stamped SAC Latta on the inside of the mag well it is postban and will need to have the muzzle device removed and replaced with a legal post ban brake or have the threads turned off.

And as you already know it will have to possess the correct U.S. parts count, 7 U.S. parts with a brake, 6 without.

Tell your friend to go to www.falfiles.com for more info.

I am always leary of the Rosario guns that are supposed to be pre-ban because I have heard of guys welding over the post ban importers marks (SAC Latta in the mag well), re-machining, re-parking, and selling an $800 dollar gun for $1500.

Edit: One way to spot an illegal gun that has had the import markings welded over is to inspect the park job really well where the markings usually are. The park color will vary with the hardness of the metal. If it has been painted over park, like a lot of the south american guns come, you can't see it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I did the research on mine and it was pre-ban of course...  I forget which markings mean what, but it was easy enough to find. I think I got it all off the falfiles site. Of course, since I bought mine in early 1990 I know for sure it's pre-ban.. :) Though, I probably paid more for it then I should have since this was 'right' after bush's 89 reinterpretation of the 68 gun control act, ie.. sporting purposes. People here on Long Island were snapping up everything that could be found that wasn't going to imported with all these evil features any longer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Even being a post ban, it is a good rifle.  As I stated before, there is a lot of different opinions as to what the responsibilites are of the owners.  The replacement of 6 or 7 parts is technically the problem of the builder/assembler and not the owner.  That means, if you didn't build it, you didn't violate the law.  Personally, I'd replace the parts to keep myself safe.

The value of an excellent condition post ban FAL runs between $800 to $1100.  Consider that you'll have to add $100 worth of compliance parts and make an offer.  I'd shoot for $700 for the price.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
My buddy's pretty pissed - at the shop that sold it to him - not me.  He's debating going back to the shop and asking for his $$ back or selling it to me at a loss.  Hopefully, the shop will give him his $$ back, so he's not out the cash.  Not that I wouldnt like a good deal, but hate to see a friend get screwed...  We'll see what happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top