Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2003 6:24:29 AM EDT
I've been offered a preban Argentine FNFAL with 11 new FN mags for $1000.  Rifle is in about 99% condition and the bore is mint.  Is this a good price?

Thanks

Update:

Serial Number of the Lower is 02284
Serial Number of the Upper is X01501

Other markings:

FSL CAL. 7.62X51
LSR .308 WIN
FMAP "DM" ROSARIO
INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA

There is a very small import mark that must be viewed under a magnifying glass that reads: iported by SAC Latta, S.C.

So my guess is that its a potential non-compliant postban import.  The guy that has it is a friend and it was sold to him as a preban but he's more "FAL ignorant" than me.  THe finish on the receivers matches perfect and the rifle shoots/functions great.

So whats a reasonable price to pay especially if I'm going to have to buy US made parts to get it in "correct" form?  Or should I pass and get a DSA rifle?

Also, is there a web site that I can direct him to where he can verify for himself that he got screwed? (I think its best if he verify it for himself)

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it's a great price. I have one NIB, bought it back in 90 right after the import ban. I paid more then a grand for mine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Dammit, I was hoping the price was so unreasonable that I could not justify buying it.  But now - How can I pass up a good deal?!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure it's absolutely a preban though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]
How?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#5]
The Argentines are difficult.  There were a batch brought in right after the ban.  The uppers and lowers were seperated and then stuck back together.  Most folks consider those to be non-compliant post bans.  They are easy to identify.  They have non-matching uppers and lowers and have an import stamp inside the mag well of "SAC, Latta SC".

If it doesn't have this and the numbers match, its a pre-ban.  Otherwise... you're on your own.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]
4gma, Argentinian "F.A.Ls should have this markings in the upper reciever.
F.S.L (stands for Fusil Semiautomatico Liviano)
cal 7.62x51 (L S R 308 WIN) and the serial number underneath that, that on the left side from the shooter's shooting position. Now on the right side you should read.
FMAP (Fabrica Militar Armas Portatiles) "DM" ROSARIO.
INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA.
It also should come with a threaded flash hider (not Comp). If the barrel is indeed argie, will be chrome lined bore and chamber, so will be the gas tube.
The gas key, will be numbered from 1 to 7 and you should be abble to read serial numbers on the barrel, bolt carrier, bolt, upper/lower reciever.
i can't think of anything else right now.
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA.
OUT.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks folks!  I'll Check it out and get back to you...
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#8]
btt
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#9]
4gma, DAMN MAN, i would say your FSL is a preban and here's why.
My old man, bought my FSL 13 years ago, and it's lower serial number is 02203!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pretty damn close huh?
what's weird though is that my FSL has the same serial numbers on the upper/lower. But then you said that the LOWER # was 02284 and as far as i know the serial # on the lower is what matters right?.
Anyways that lower was built at least 13 yeras ago so i'd say, GO FOR IT!
HUNTER.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Careful with that advise Hunter.  There was a batch of Argies that came in just after the import ban.  Some enterprising fellow decided he could just seperate the upper and lower, put them back together and sell them as non-imported rifles since he "assembled" them here.  That is how you these with mis matched uppers and lowers.  This was done by a company called SAC in Latta, Georgia and the SAC, Latta GA mark is stamped on the inside of the mag well.  

Some folks agrue that since they were in an AW configuration before the '94 ban and since the buyer is not one who assembled it, it is a pre-ban.  The wording of 922r does in fact state that it is illegal to assemble from imported parts and does not address possession.  That "loop hole" may or may not stand the test of legal scrutiny.  It also means the value of the mis-matched guns is NOT on par with your genuine pre-ban Argie.

One other point of clarification is that the serial number on the upper is the one that matters, not the lower as your post indicated.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Careful with that advise Hunter.  There was a batch of Argies that came in just after the import ban.  Some enterprising fellow decided he could just seperate the upper and lower, put them back together and sell them as non-imported rifles since he "assembled" them here.  That is how you these with mis matched uppers and lowers.  This was done by a company called SAC in Latta, Georgia and the SAC, Latta GA mark is stamped on the inside of the mag well.  

Some folks agrue that since they were in an AW configuration before the '94 ban and since the buyer is not one who assembled it, it is a pre-ban.  The wording of 922r does in fact state that it is illegal to assemble from imported parts and does not address possession.  That "loop hole" may or may not stand the test of legal scrutiny.  It also means the value of the mis-matched guns is NOT on par with your genuine pre-ban Argie.

One other point of clarification is that the serial number on the upper is the one that matters, not the lower as your post indicated.

Oh, i didn't know that, i thought the whole thing was kinda like in ARs, but what you're saying makes perfect sense, since the UPPER reciever is going to be the part of the guns carring the 'evil features' and FALs unlike ARs have serial #s marked on their uppers. Thanks from remarking that.
On the other hand, my FAL was purchased 13 years ago and it's serial # is 02203.
I just thought this could help to find out how old 4gma's FAL was.
HUNTER.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top