Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2003 11:36:04 PM EDT
Im addicted to rapid fire, and inlove with my 7.62x39 but now I'd like to try out something a little bigger, I would love to own an HK91 but cant afford one yet, I havent heard many good things about CETME so I've avoided that one, Now the FAL, Im thinking of getting one of the DSA's, Should I expect flawless fire as I do with my AK? My AK doesnt stutter, and I'd love to have that in a .308 round, thought about an AR-10 but a FAL seems more my type. Different receiver types, which one is best, Im thinking the heavier the better but I think they are all machined, also what should I expect to pay for one? And last question, whom should I buy from if I cant find one locally? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
If you aren't competent enough to assemble your own FAL, I fall into this category, I would suggest having one built.  DSAs are nice guns, every good quality, but in my opinion not worth the price.  I happened to have very good luck with Century on my L1A1, some people have not.  But for $400 plus shipping and transfer, you can usually afford to fix any problems pretty cheaply, and the guns tend to be very well finished.

Now, if it were me, hey it IS me, I'm going this route myself.  I would have one built by Ohio Rapid Fire, or just buy one they have likely already built.  They use metric Imbel receivers, good quality kits that are expertly refinished, offer a one year warranty on their work and ship the rifle to you in a hard case - for like $550 IIRC.  I have one of their Krinkov's and I am mighty impressed with their work.

Mike from ORF posts here under the name Me223.  The website for ORD is www.ohiorapidfire.com.  Best of luck, and if you talk to Me223 tell him to stop playing in his garden and build my rifle...
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The STG58 DSA has been pretty well documented as a quality parts gun by many shooters. The SA58 is also high quality.

I have also owned an older Century gun which was a decent shooter, although cosmetically poor in comparison to the DSA guns. As Hiram says, for $400 you may get a great shooter, or you may get a $400 headache. ORF seems to be another good option for a decent inexpensive FAL.

I've found you usually get what you pay for. Life is too short to waste on ugly guns
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My AK doesnt stutter, and I'd love to have that in a .308 round....

If you're so fond of AKs, why don't you just get a .308 Saiga or Vepr?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I just purchased my first DSA SA58c yesterday, it has the tiger stripe duracoat, it will be here next week, cant wait to shoot her.
I will report back soon as I get her out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you're so fond of AKs, why don't you just get a .308 Saiga or Vepr?

No way Tex,I love my AK, but I need variety!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top