Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2003 6:06:12 AM EDT
HI,

I have been just reading posts here and trying to learn more about FALs.I have looked at many different ones and I really like the Predator from DSA.They say it can come with a type 1 or type 3 receiver, would one be better than the other, I have check them out and from my understanding the type 3 is stronger, correct me if I am wrong.I would also like to know if you would have DSA put a muzzle brake on, I think I would not,but I am unsure.And if anyone here has a Predator please let me know what you think of it. Thanks for your help, Kev
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
In theory, the type 3 is stronger but in reality, it doesn't matter.  I think the type 1 looks a lot better.

As far as the Predator goes, it is certainly a nice one.  If you want a completed rifle that you don't have to do anything with, it is a great choice.  If you hang out at the FALfiles for a couple of weeks, you can see pretty quickly how to attain the same thing for a lot less money.  There are plenty of "kit" guns for sale between $600 to $800 that would make a great base for a precision FAL.  All you really need to do is add the scope mount and smooth out the trigger.  Some of the board members offer trigger jobs for cheap and I think one of them also can refinish it for you.

If you really want a heavy barrel, you would need to go with a build project.  Again, you can buy the parts and send them off to one of the better smiths and have it built for far less than the DSA.  Its just a question if you want to mess with it.

I hate muzzle brakes.  They are nothing more than noise makers.  The only reason to have one is so you can have it removed if the AWB expires and install a flash hider.  The other option is to go "naked" for now and have it threaded later.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
HI,

CLIFFY 109,thanks for the information, I also have some other questions as I am very new to FALs, and have a lot to learn.I am looking at a KIT,STG58, from FAC for $349.00. Now here is my question I will also have to get a receiver, lets say from DSA for around $350.00 or more, right. I Will  also have to get a lower say from DSA, light weight which will be, lets say  around $400.00.Then if I want it done right send it to a good smith as I have no experience or tools for putting togather a FAL. It seems to me there is not of a lot of differents between a complete rifle from DSA and going with the KIT way?.Please correct me, as like I said I am new to FALs, or does the KIT come with a lower? Thanks,Kev
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the kits do come with a lower so unless you really want the aluminum one, don't stress it.  The kits come with everything other than the receiver and the US compliance parts.  Were it me, I'd save some money and get a Coonan receiver for $200, an STG kit for $300 from DSA, the FSE HTS set for $52 and a charging handle and gas piston from Tapco for about $60.  I'd cut the threads off since it looks like you are looking for a "precision" set up.  You may also decide to get new handguards because the STG ones are metal and heat up real quick.  If you do that, and get a US made one and a pistol grip, you don't even have to get the charging handle and gas piston.

DSA makes a great receiver.  It is forged and is made on FN machinery.  The Coonan is cast but is hardened better than any others on the market.  It has the type 1 profile which I think looks nicer than the Imbel type 3, plus it is a US made part.

The STG kits are nearly new.  They don't need refinished like a lot of other kits.  The barrels have a reputation of being better quality than the Badger ones DSA is using.  Get the parts and send them off to a smith or find somebody in your area who will help you build it yourself.  

If you live in Northern VA, we have a build party this weekend where three of us are building a combined total of 6 rifles.  Post a "help wanted" request in the FALfiles and you're sure to find somebody in your area with the correct tools.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#4]
BTW, the lightweight lower from DSA is only $95 stripped so if you want a lightweight lower, you buy that and transfer the rest of the parts over from the kit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]

CLIFFY 109, I also have figured this out, all I would just do is place the kit parts from the lower to the LW DSA lower. I would like to know if the DSA light weight lower, which is made from aluminum,will hold up okay. I have read posts on other forums that say it will dent, I have no clue if this is the case or not?.If you could inform me more about this I would appreciate it.Also it this assault weapon crap sunsets, would not the prices of any of DSA rifle drop?, it may be better to wait. Kev
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The only things that will drop in price if the ban sunsets are pre-bans.  The DSA rifles are not considered assault rifles under the ban so I would not anticipate them going down.  If anything, they may go up if the BATFE manages to strangle off the kits.

I have two aluminum lowers.  One is on a para that I have only fired about 300 rounds through and the other is about to be installed on a lightweight project I am working on.  I can't attest to the longevity personally, but everything I have read indicates there is NO problem with them.  There was some speculation about the recoil plate taking a beating but if you are concerned about that, buy a buffer for $15.  That's what I have done.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
HI,

I have E-mailed DSA with many questions and must say they have been great answering many of my stupid questions. Anyway I just would like to say in one of the E-mails they said that the SA58 Tactical carbine and the SA58 Predator are capable of.5 to 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I thought this pretty darn good for any rifle. Kev
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top