Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 8:36:35 PM EDT
Shot my  SA58 24” Bull for the first time this weekend. With all said and done, I’ve got serious brass markings on the outside receiver, under and starting at the rear of the ejection port, traveling forward approximately one inch, and then feathering midway down the exterior mag well wall, stopping  inside the lightening cuts.

On the DSA Heavy Duty scope mount that makes up the rear port, markings graduate from serious, and travel up and forward midway on the top port opening, ending in gnashing gnarly metal bite marks to the bottom of the scope mount. This has produced white metal grindings more commonly seen in auto wrecks.

What was really odd were the same brass markings (more like flicks) that I noticed on the gas piston rod during my cleaning. How is this?

Huston, I think I’ve got a problem.

Except for those who stayed at a Holiday Inn this weekend, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Obviously its an ejection issue, though all FALs do this to some degree. I've seen the brass gouge the soft aluminum of the scope mounts before, leaving white marks on the mounts.

Does the rifle do this regardless of the gas setting? With different types of ammo?

Marks on the piston aren't all that odd; it's still an ejection issue.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Iftoc, you may have the lowest post/time registered than anyone here. Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to read all the rules and regs first.

Then I have to proof and edit.

All this takes time before I can post.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does the rifle do this regardless of the gas setting? With different types of ammo?

My excitement from shooting the FAL for the first time superceded any issues I was having...so no, I didn't address the gas setting.

Next time that'll be first on my list, thanks.

The ammo was that cheap battle pack stuff you pickup at the gun shows.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Iftoc, you may have the lowest post/time registered than anyone here. Congrats!

Haha, funny!
HUNTER
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Cut a piece of the fuzzy side of self-adhesive velcro tape and apply it around the lower rear half of the ejection port. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard a magnetic strip works also,but haven't tried it yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top