Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 10:40:41 AM EDT
I hoping to buy my first FAL pretty soon and was wondering if there is a big difference in performance between a 16 in carbine or 20 in rifle.  I'd prefer the shorter barrel but would like to know the pros and cons.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I have two 21", one 18", and one 16.25" carbine.  The shorty is definitely my fav.  It also is shaping up as the most accurate.  I shot a twelve round group yesterday with iron sights (KNS duplex front sight).  Six shots went in @100 yards under 1" and the rest were under 3 1/4" using 168 grain Winchester 308.  I'm planning on reshooting next week using a scope and a different target arrangement.  It's a DSA badger barrel.  The others are Imbel and Steyr.

Anyway, once you go under 18" barrel length you start losing some energy.  The tradeoff is less barrel whip.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Omar, have you ever measured velocity difference between each of your barrel lengths using the same ammo?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:39:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I still don't have a locking shoulder in the 18" one.  When I do, I'll chrono them and post it.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top