Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2003 1:37:14 PM EDT
...MY STG58....

I posted this on falfiles, but had to put it over here as well. I am simply beside myself over this deal...

I went camping this weekend. Damn was it a GREAT weekend!

I had never shot my DSA STG58 any farther than 200 yards or so. We setup camp with a canyon below us.

It was a few miles wide, and we had guessed 3/4 mile across. I have an full size ACOG, 4X32 on it. After double checking my zero, I was sitting there plinkin down in the canyon. I kinda walked my way out in the middle, and was still using the crosshair center. I decided for hoots and hollers to try the rock slide across the canyon. I used the 800m line and was dead on. I was shocked and awed. I tried again, same thing. I kept shooting at various discernable rocks and sticks and kept getting dead on.

I was simply amazed. It hit everything I shot at, no problem. When the wind would gust from my right to my left, the bullet would hit right. It seemd like the wind was circling in the canyon, I adjusted left, POOF, no problem.

When the fishermen campers I went with came back, I took them over for a spin. They were speechless. They could not believe it was that far away, they could not believe the rifle was that dead on, they could not believe they could hit everything they shot at with it. The worst shot by any of them was a foot or so high, and a foot or so right.

It was on helluva weekend, this is ONE HELLUVA rifle, and the ACOG is one helluva scope.

DAMN.....I am so impressed I may have to go get another one of these!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I built a G-1 on a Coonan reciever and received similar results.  I was shooting at steel "gongs" at 300, 400 and 540 yards with open sights.  I simply adjusted the rear sight and it was dead-on every time.  The impact was impressive too; almost explosive.  Much more so than with the AR (although teh AR certainly could reach out to the same distances).  I kept thinking, this is what they guys over in Afghanistan needed for some of those far shots across canyons, etc.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:42:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Great. Thanks a lot!  Now I want my STG58 even MORE!  

Glad you had a "blast" CavVet!  I already have a couple of mags loaded for mine and it won't be here for a week or more.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:46:12 AM EDT
[#4]
CavVet, what kind of ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Green Battle pack, 200 round.  

Portugese

Headstamp:

FNM 81-49

NATO +

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top