Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2003 5:51:49 PM EDT
 Sorry guys but I just can't afford a dsa.  When I get it I am going to take it down and clean, lube and check the rifle over.  I know I have to check the headspace,  where do I get these go no go headspace gauges?  What else do I need to check?
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck.  I hope you don't get one that requires hours of tweaking.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure you want to do that?  Take a look at the falfiles for a build gun.  You should be able to find an Imbel build for less than $600 and there is a MUCH higher probablility that you will have a great gun without tweaking.  

Check this one out www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72723
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#3]
i have one and got lucky. Mine only needed to be properly headspaced.

If you buy CAI have it checked! Expect to put a little bit into it to get it right.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I understand the money issue. That just made me save
a little longer. After I researched my decision,
it boiled down to the quality of the DSA and the
fact that they offer a life time warranty on their products.
I read to many threads about people with problems
they were having with some of the other brands.
Hope you get a good one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Gonna buy CAI FAL

Haha!  Good luck!  

The headspace gauges can be found at Brownells, Midway, Bushmaster, etc.

What else do I need to check?

The entire gas system.
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Good luck, mine (never inspected by a smith ) had minor issues. But beware it's going to make you a .308 semi lover if you weren't one before!
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is in excellent condition and shoots great, but after reading this, I'm going to have it headspaced, just to be sure.  As far as the gun goes, the finish is tops, the gun shoots great iron sight groups and I couldn't be happier, especially with a $400 semi 308!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought an early Century L1A1, post 89 import with thumbhole.  Did the US parts swap for a regular stock.  For $350 I got a reifle that has never hiccuped, hits its target and does everything you could ask for.  Also got a half dozen mags with it at that price...  Can't beat it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  When I got mine, I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it, then loaded up 35 magazines, and shot it.  Problems, none.  Headspace?  45 years of collecting firearms and I have never had a problem with headspace.  According to Hatcher, it has to be sooooo bad to create a problem, the firing pin won't reach the primer hard enough to set the cartridge off.  An old time scam when buying a used rifle is to look at it, frown and say, "no thank you, excessive headspace."  The seller gets spooked and asks if it is dangerous.  The buyer gets this, "you dummie" look on his face and tells the seller he's lucky to be alive!  The seller is putty in the buyer's hands and he gets the firearm for next to nothing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You should be able to find an Imbel build for less than $600 and there is a MUCH higher probablility that you will have a great gun without tweaking.  

My Century guns are perfect.  The last few were all built on Imbel receivers too...
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Century R1A1, and it has run like a champ.  I had a problem with one of the mags that came with the rifle, but nothing associated with the rifle itself.  It came with the gas setting on 5 and I have not touched it.  Has run everything I put into it without a single hiccup.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:30:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
 Sorry guys but I just can't afford a dsa.  When I get it I am going to take it down and clean, lube and check the rifle over.  I know I have to check the headspace,  where do I get these go no go headspace gauges?  What else do I need to check?

Headspace guages -> Brownells.com & Midwayusa.com .  Both offer dealer discount if tou have a FFL .  I have a C&R FFL .

God Bless
Wyr
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:39:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  When I got mine, I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it, then loaded up 35 magazines, and shot it.  Problems, none.  Headspace?  45 years of collecting firearms and I have never had a problem with headspace.  According to Hatcher, it has to be sooooo bad to create a problem, the firing pin won't reach the primer hard enough to set the cartridge off.  An old time scam when buying a used rifle is to look at it, frown and say, "no thank you, excessive headspace."  The seller gets spooked and asks if it is dangerous.  The buyer gets this, "you dummie" look on his face and tells the seller he's lucky to be alive!  The seller is putty in the buyer's hands and he gets the firearm for next to nothing.

This is a dangerous approach , especially on a gun Century puts together .  Met a guy at the range with a Century rifle .  He said his first one had HS so bad he was having case falures .

For $ 15 + -  for a no-go , it is not worth taking the chance .

Remember these are kit guns .  The locking sholder that came in the kit does not necessarly work with the receiver , barrel , bolt combination .

The locking sholders come in a bunch of sizes , so making the HS right is no big deal .  Think they are about $ 25.00 .

God Bless
Wyr

God Bless
Wyr
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#14]
My first FAL was a L1A1 from CIA. Bought it used with six magazines for $350, never did anything but shoot it! Sold it a year later for $450. Used the funds to buy an L1A1 kit and reciever from Century. That one required tweeking, but otherwise digested 500 rounds without any WTF's
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad to hear nobody has had any problems with CAI. Headspace is no laughing matter, not to be taken lightly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top