Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2003 2:58:20 PM EDT
Looking at the century arms etc for around $400 or so.. I live in houston and haven't really seen one for a reasonable price.. What places over me protection form ordering a junker.. JoeKen.com has a good price but what if I get a lemon? Who takes returns?

Thanks in advance..
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The Century guns are mixmaster parts guns
sometimes ya get a good one, sometimes ya dont.
They will take them back and fix them though.
I'd go to www.falfiles.com and look in the forum marketplace.  Lots of nice builds for $550-$650 that will work right the first time and are not mixmaster.

DSA has very nice FALS like their STG58A for around $795

Arizona Response Systems also builds a nice FAL.
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#3]
i'm getting a receiver from dealer's warehouse and then building one.

can't wait  it will be a fun project.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]
My first FAL was a century mixmaster...Worked and shot great.
course I didnt like the mixmaster part of it so
I decked it out with a STG front end and lower. :)
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out Ohio rapid fire.com  I had them build me an awesome 18" FAL carbine and it rocks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
DSA Is the only way to fly IMHO.  Do they cost more?  Hell yes.  Are they worth the extra cost?  Oh Hell yes.  I now have two of these damn things and I am considering a third.  They are that good.  If you want a "KIT" gun I would recommend anyone EXCEPT Century.  FALfiles.com is full of people with problem guns.  If you dont buy a DSA gun at least build on a DSA reciever.  If you cant afford that I hear Imbel gear logo recievers are the next best thing.  My advice is dont go cheap, you will only regret it.  Save your pennies and get a DSA STG58 or save longer and get a SA58 standard.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Ditto EVERYTHING that VanOnken said.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Mark @ Arizona Response Systems also sells a great FAL.

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#10]
i hear horrible things about the century ones.  there is even a small industry that re-builds centry ones...  now that is bad.

check these out:  http://www.falparts.com/firearms.asp

if you don't want to build your own and want a decent one try those.

edited to say:  I might be talking out my ass.  I hear they are out of stock of the M-444s.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]
There is also a very large contingent of members over at the FAL Files that love their Century guns...  my early L1A1 is a dream, functions perfectly, is accurate and utterly reliable.  Having said that, its ugly, but then again for $350 out the door with a bag of mags I didn't care much.  I'm going to have an Izzy light barrel clone built by a local smith and I can't wait... but I would trust my life to my Century L1A1 before my Bushmaster AR...  My L1A1 has never jammed, EVER... can't say that about my ARs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I own an STG58 built my Mark at Arizona Response Systems.

It is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Ditto on the remarks on ARS and AZex. I love my Azex built 18" carbine. I used a Imbel recv'r and Stg and Imbel parts but the thing shoots like a dream.
I like DSA's I just couldn't swing the price, I had mine built for half the price, and it functions just as good. These things are as addictive  as crack, so watch out or you will find yourself buying parts-kits and mags.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
FALfiles.com is full of people with problem guns.

Including DSA's.......
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FALfiles.com is full of people with problem guns.

Including DSA's.......

Amen Dru... people forget that there are a lot of people at FAL Files who own Century rifles and are quite pleased with them.  Would it be their first choice?  No.  Do they consider them to be worthless?  Hell no.  It is a good way to get into a Fal without fraking the bank.

Most of them work fine out of the box, some might need a little tweaking.  Most of these cottage industries to rebuild the guns focus on making them pretty or accurazing them.  That is not the same as making them function reliably.  Like I said, never a problem with mine... Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:48:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Looking at the century arms etc for around $400 or so.. I live in houston and haven't really seen one for a reasonable price.. What places over me protection form ordering a junker.. JoeKen.com has a good price but what if I get a lemon? Who takes returns?

Thanks in advance..

I have a Century FrankenFAL that works fine , but it is on an Imbel receiver .  But I bought it known good from a friend .

I have had a MAS semi-auto with problems & still have a CETME with problems .  I have first hand experience with rifles Century puts together .  They are a crap shoot .  ( Luckily , I never bought a Century Garand .  :-)  )

If you buy a Century rifle , go into it with your eyes open .  :-(  And I would not buy a FAL unless it had a DSA ( $$$ ) or Imbel receiver .

God Bless
Wyr
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Check out Ohio rapid fire.com  I had them build me an awesome 18" FAL carbine and it rocks!

I saved a little more and went with the DSA Stg-58 for $835 shipped and transferred, but I was seriously considering these guys. Look on the website - I think you could get a gauranteed rifle with an Imbel reciever for about $100 more than the Century you'd be taking a chance on. I can't speak from experience (like I said, I got something else), but you should look into it if you really can't buy the DSA.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Fired my mixmatcher today and was overall pleased.  Would not be my 1st choice for battle but after tweaking, Hell Yes.  I'd take it over any M16 I have ever shot.  120 rounds 4 failure to feed.  2 failure to extract 2 bolt closing on empty chamber.  Able to clear malfunctions easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top