Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2003 6:55:24 PM EDT
I'm new to FALs (my first is inbound from a seller on this board) and I see a number of different Mags offered.  Any opinions as to the "preferred" mag?  I seen new in wrapper Steyrs at $21-14 each, Aluminum, and all manner of used from $4.00-14.  Any recommendations on number to have on hand and preferred manufacturer or country of origin?  My initial thought is that 20 mags should be more than adequate, but if in your experience there is a design weakness or some other factor to influence your recommendation (such as future scarcity), please let me know.

Thanks very much,

Brad
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I've tried new Austrian and Belgium mags, as well as some pretty rough ones from Tapco.  All have fed and fired perfectly.  I prefer the look of the G1 mags from Belgium and some people like the witness holes in the Steyr mags.  I really don't think it matters.

If you want cheap but fairly good condition mags, look up Vorbec.  I bought my new ones from him but I understand he has about the best condition used mags around and they are cheap.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  Have you tried the aluminum mags?
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks!  Have you tried the aluminum mags?

No I haven't.  I've heard they work just fine, but I don't think I'd stock up on them like I would the steel ones.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been buying a bunch of cheap assed ones at gun shows. They are so cheap, if you have a problem, just throw them away, so far, i've only had to toss two away.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#6]
When I got my FAL (DSA StG-58), I found some NIW mags from Tapco and Impactguns.  Between the two companies I picked up 30 NIW steel mags for less than $280.  I didn't know what was good and what to avoid in the used mags.  So, I figured the NIW was the best way for me to go.  

I wouldn't worry about future scarcity on FAL mags.  There are millions of these mags floating around.

The only advice I can give you is maybe to stick with steel.  From my reading, they seem to be recommended over others.

Also, spend a little time at falfiles for their advice.

raf has good advice on the stripper clips and guides.  You might want to pick some up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!  I appreciate the insights and advice. I was wondering what kind of pouches I was going to have to come up with.  I still have a few single OD canvas M-14 pouches but was looking for an updated version.  Good gouge, thanks again,
BT
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 5:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]
The best "true FAL" pouches are the Camadian C-1 issue pouches.   They were actually designed for the FAL andwork quite nicely.
However, standard M-16 30rnd pouches work surprisingly well with the internal dividers removed!   I didn't believe it and bought a bunch of the C-1 pouches.....then afterwords, I found an old M-16 pouch in my "stash", sans deviders.  Put two FAL mags in....."Suna ma bitch!"  They fit great!
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I have NIW FN Belgian mags, DSA "Good" grade Steyr mags, gun show "U pick-em" grade Steyr mags, some aluminum mags, and a 10 round DSA benchrest mag.  Of all of them, the 10 round mag sees the most use.  

The NIW ones are just too nice to unwrap and use when the used ones are so readily available and work so well.

The aluminum ones work fine and it's easy to feel the weight difference in loaded mags.  I can't say how well they'll hold up over time compared to steel.  The lip on the front that engages the mag release is the part I'd worry about.

The DSA used mags have been the most consistently good quality ones for me.  All the used ones needed a good cleaning to remove cosmoline, grease, sand, gunk, etc.

DSA sells 20 round mag springs for $1.00/ea in quantity.  These go a long way toward making the used mags work like new ones.  That reminds me - need to stock up on some more while the getting is good.

Mag pouches are tougher to come by.  Tapco used to sell good quality 2 mag South African canvas pouches but I don't think they have them anymore.  I haven't tried the other suggestions offered on this thread.

Welcome to the FAL fraternity!  
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the welcome and the information.  I appreciate the opportunity to learn from the experience of others in this game.  Best regards,
Brad
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#11]
TAPCO still has their metric mags on sale for $3.99 each if you buy 10 or more, regular price is $4.99. I have yet to use mine, they look OK. Some may want to refinish them, they did have a nice amount of cosmoline on them... so cleaning is required.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I am also new to FALs and I want to buy a few mags for a metric FAL...  

I am curious if anybody has an oppinion on the 30rd mags...  

I am trying to look at the web as I would like to get 10-20 cheap mags to put away with a pair of parts kits that I have on the way...  I figure a few mags put away now is good cheap insurance as opposed to what I have paid in the past for mags for my AR-10!

I hear one recommendation for Tapco... anybody else know of a good place with good prices for servicable used mags...?  Oh yea, I will buy a couple new Show-And-Tell mags but I need to start somewhere!

QB
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am curious if anybody has an oppinion on the 30rd mags...  

Three words... VHF....

Very Friggin Heavy!

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Three words... VHF....

Very Friggin Heavy!

Hell, I know I don't actually carry many 20-rd AR-10 mags to the range for this reason (and I can't afford to refill them if I empty them)!

Just the same, I have a pair of Imbel parts kits on the way from Dans and I really do need to grab a few Fal mags but I still haven't found a deal that has made me want to spend my money!

It doesn't help that I have gotten the AK bug at the same time and I have been stocking up on AK parts, mags, as well as a new SAR 1...  

Yup... I am an official gun addict now!  Hell, it's got so bad I have to make a list on paper to remember what guns I have and I could NEVER list the mags!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I have got to the place where I take empty 20 round FAL mags, and a battlepack just for weight and logistics.

The 308 is easier to load for my hands than the 223, so it only takes a few minutes, and I have tons of ammo to shoot.

Damn last weekend with my FAL was like a first date all over again. I am truly in love with my FAL!

(and 20 round mags are cheaper than a McDonalds Happy Meal date!)
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#16]
i recently bought a few of the "painted" fal mags from tapco.  i couldn't be happier, only one out of six actually had a large amount of paint on it and they are fucntionaly perfect.
the paint came off easily w/ acetone, im gonna get around to refinishing them someday.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone found a good way to clean up mags that have cosmoline coating the inside and outside of the mags? I have about 20 to clean, but have been putting it off in hopes of finding a better way.

I had used hot water and Simple Green, and that didn't work to well.

I understand that cosmoline melts at 140 degrees, so I was going to get try a lot hotter water the next time.

The mags seem to be dipped in the cosmoline.

Anybody found a good way to completely remove the cosmoline?

Sure could use a better way to do this.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#18]
To remove Cosmoline--kerosene.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#19]
While I'm not sure about the aluminum mags.... But it has been said by the Fal guru's on the fal files, that all steel fal mags, regardless of the country of origin, where made on FN machinery......
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#20]
To remove the cosmoline ...

I soak the magazines in hot water and Dawn dish soap .. then throw them in the dishwasher ...

Oh.. did I tell you I was single ...? So I do not have to contend with a lady of the house ... now of course that is looking to change ... but til then I can use the kitchen sink for hte over night magazine soak ..

Ted...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top