Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2022 11:32:45 PM EDT
I picked up an AB night vision mod3b housing with gain on the EE. Ive owned a couple but never built this particular housing before. They seem to be rarish anymore. Not sure why.

ANYWAY, I have two pvs-14s with gain I was going to break them down and rob the lenses and tubes for this Mod 3 build. I broke down one of the two pvs-14s this evening and discovered that the gain pigtail on the pvs-14 tube has 4 leads and my mod 3 housing appears to only have two.

Im guessing that either:
1. I need a more specific type of 11679 tube with a two lead gain pigtail or
2. These 2 leads just have to go on in the right place and I don't know what that is.

I thought about poking around and trial and erroring it, but its tough to work in these things, like a ship in a bottle compared to a pvs-14 and it seemed like a great way to accidentally break something. Any advice or someone with a helpful document would be very handy thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Pigtails have redundant connections. So when you break one off trying to push the gain pot in, you have a spare. Ask me how I know.

Use a little black RTV when you push in the pots to help seal them up.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Also strip a bic ink pen to use to push the gain pot in. The stud should fit inside the barrel of the pen.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:37:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akaf47] [#3]
I'd contact AB Nightvision and ask them for details on how that's all supposed to work. Also, contact the guy you bought it from, he probably has the details.
Let us know what you come up with.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
As previously mentioned - you only use 2 contacts. You can also ask AB NV for the potentiometer pusher - they made some. The manual Gain MOD3 is a more difficult build - especially if you are taking it apart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top