Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2021 10:14:08 PM EDT
I'm not mr super nvg knowledge guy so I can't do these myself but I think it would be a good idea to post some "basics" for newbies up top.

I think a good starting point

"Reading and understanding your spec sheet"

"Common device breakdowns"

"Commercially available tubes"

I'd be willing do the threads if others can help me with the information.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Helmet mounts and the interchangeability thereof.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:
Helmet mounts and the interchangeability thereof.
View Quote

For this and teaching newbs, I always pointed them to TNVCs webpage. There is some pics with what Norotos shroud goes with which mount.

Norotos Universal = Wilcox L4
Norotos 3-hole/1-hole need a conversion plate for most mounts.

See 4th pic here:
https://tnvc.com/shop/norotos-1-hole-low-profile-shroud/
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I've thought about doing a mount faq but I'm a knuckle dragger so I'm not sure it would come out in a useful format. Tnvc has the most useful pictures but I can say as a relative newcomer that when you're trying to figure this stuff out it looks like alien technology. I didn't have a firm grasp of how everything worked until I had it in my hands.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
We could start with a basic explanation of what types of i2 systems are out there (binocular, monocular, bi-ocular) and the requisite hardware (mount, shroud, J-arm for the monocular crowd.) Then what differentiates two different tubes (SNR, EBI, FOM, Res, etc.)
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll try and do one on mounts. Figure get some info down and if it's a jumble it can be reorganized. The problem I see is it will be some general information but by default it will essentially be a review of what I run.
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 11:47:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ecirp] [#6]
I have two ideas/suggestions:

1. As someone who is just starting to become interested in NV, I think it might be worth it to have a writeup on the different digital NV options out there and how they differ from real/analog NV. I know that there's a ton of info specific to the SIOnyx Aurora in its own thread (here), but its a huge thread to go through, and only the SiOnyx offerings are discussed.

2. Another topic I'd appreciate would be a very brief overview of the performance ranges, examples of NV models within each of the brackets, as well as approximate prices. It would be great to include expected performance also. Think of someone who just started to look into buying an AR, it would be useful to have a one-pager outlining where manufacturers (BCA, PSA, AP, BCM, LaRue, DD, LMT, etc) fall within different performance tiers and price.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I think basic care (dont do this type stuff) so people dont mess up what the spent a lot of money on would be useful.  I think the more comfortable people are with the tool the more likely they will use them.  

Protect your investment thread is my suggestion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top