Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2002 10:53:07 AM EDT
I recently bought an ARMS mount.  I have a SWIFT scope currently on, but have not sighted it in yet.  I will get a better scope in the future.  I deer hunt w/mine, and have used open sights, but prefer a scope for greater than 100 yards.  Desertmoon-  what are your thoughts on the quality of the Shepherd?  I'm seriously considering a shepherd, since I hunt on long roads and have to estimate range quickly.   How is their
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The last word on first paragraph should've been - optics.  
Thanks Aimless.  I did the search, found 3 negatives. No appreciable positives.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 12:44:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Shephard 310-2(old one)for almost 15 years now, and it works great!

I don't know about the newer one's but they have a 800 # give them a call and ask, I meet Dan Shephard years ago while doing NRA conventions Nice guy.

Scope is fast! No messing around to find distance.

Holds a zero. My longest shot was on a coyote just under 625yds (checked with a laser range finder later that day) He hung up and I couldn't call him closer, after the shot a alfa male can out of a ditch at 75yds. that I couldn't see he was put down under 100yds by my partner. He thought I missed as he didn't see the younger one on the hill from where he was sitting.

I do like mine..it gets moved back and forth between a M1A and a AR15 depending on where I am calling.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
In a word....no.  Save your money, and get a Leupold LR M3 (or M1)

Rich
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Trumpet, Does your NO.. come from personal experance?

I would like to hear about it, as I would like to get another to mount on my 300. I was refering to the frist ones that came out I don't know about the new one's.

I have been behind both scopes. I like the M3 as a range scope that is what we had on or long guns.

The Shephard is a faster scope to use.

I'm headed over to Sniper Country to check them out.

Edited; Have a look. I know what I'm getting.

www.shepardscpoes.com

www.snipercountry.com/hottips/scopeshepard.htm

If anyone is in my area I'll put you behind mine to try.      
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:52:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]
TwoStage,
Yes, my "NO" does come from personal experience.  I worked the better part of a whole day trying to help a guy get his working right this past summer.  It would not hold zero, and wasn't repeatable. After over a month of trying to get it to work properly, he got rid of it.  The RO at the club bought one at the same time as the other guy and he got rid of his after the reticle broke from the "punishing" recoil of a .308 after 5 rounds.  They are made by Hakko in Japan (same people that make the Springfield scopes and the Tasco SS series), not here.  The problem is, where are you going to find an "old" one.  You yourself said "...I was refering to the frist ones that came out I don't know about the new one's", so if you plan on getting a new one, then you don't know what you're getting.
You say you like the M3 and that is what you had on your "long" guns...what other kind would you put them on?
In general, always be wary about what a company has to say about their product.  Do you really think they would say something like "...ours are good but not as good as a Leupold or USO..."?
As far as SC, I've been a regular there since '97.  There's only one guy there who uses a Shepherd, and he takes quite a bit of good natured ribbing about it.  Check on the archives for Shepherd. Here are some quotes from the SC link you provided....

"...The only thing is they just didn't go the full mile in building it.  I has a reputation for not holding together.  I've never heard anyone say that it did not shoot according to plan but the one's I've looked through lack a little in lense quality and that stuff tends to clog the visability.  The company is a bear to deal with and dealers won't stock them much..."

"...It does all it was advertised to do but it had a short eye relief and would "Bite" you when shooting prone or off the bench..."

"...Amgoing to give up on the Shepherd.  Comments posted eariler are well made.  Cluttered reticle, coarse lines, and average optics..."

"...Several of my friends in Montana did use Shepherds on their STW's and have great result.  Anyway they did until i brought up some of the rifles I have with the Leupold and B/L tactical.  Needless to say they switched over..."

"I have a Shepherd on my rem700p...I am definitely in the market for a different scope..."

"Leupold Tacticals, Bausch & Lombs discontinued 10x tactical, or even a Taaa, Taas, TTTaaasco would be a better bet..."

"...It breaks too often and costs too much.  I wish a good serious scope maker would use the same system and build it right.  Shepherd in my experience is arrogant if you have a problem and assumes it has to ve you or something stupid you have done.  Until they change their attitude with dealers and users they are doomed to sell shepherds in piss aunt quanities..."

I think when they make a good scope it's OK at best, but they seem to be cranking out a lot of scopes that seem to have been made at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon, if you know what I mean.  When Shepherd passes guv'mint testing and gets a mil-contract, I'll change my mind.  But for what they cost, (IMO and experience) you'd be better off with something else.
Later,
Rich
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Trumpet, thanks for the input on the newer ones, and going more indepth than you did on the SC post.

I'm not going to let the one I have go, the optics are clear and sharp and holds a zero.

I will look into the newer P2's farther before I get another one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#9]
TwoStage,
No prob.  If the one you have is good, by all means keep it. (BTW I never meant to suggest that you get rid of it).  I have no experience with the older ones, only the newer ones.  If looking for a new scope in the same price range, I'd look at a Leupold or a Nikon Monarch.
Later,
Rich
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top