Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2002 11:48:16 AM EDT
What are they? I don't know anything about these rifles other than the caliber and that I really wish I had one. Are the stocks different? Which model came first? Why the two models, was one an improvement?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#1]
M14 was the USGI issue MBR.  It is select fire.

M1A is the Springfield Armory semi ONLY version.  

both same caliber  7.62 x 51 nato.

There are a few mfg's of the M1A receivers now other than SA.

The M1A has the notch for taking the operating rod off in a diferent place from the M14 (although there is now a M1A that has replicated the M14 slot (not SA))

parts are interchageable between the rifles, sans FA fire control components.

Stocks are the same, however, as the M1A has become more popular, there are stocks now for the M1A, which the M14 will not fit into. (the M1A will fit into any std M14 stock.) There is a cut out in the stock for the FA components.

Link Posted: 11/30/2002 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#2]
the M-14 came first(1950 something).. it is a select fire weapon chamberes in 7.62x51 and the M1A is the commercial, semi-automatic version, chambered the same. the stocks are different as the M-14 stock has the cut out( on the right side) for the selector switch. All M-14 receivers are forged, milled and most M1A receivers are cast.. while some will say this is not a good thing, i have yet to see anyone wear out a cast receiver... barrels will wear out before a receiver....
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok I understand now and if I follow correctly, M14s are not available to the general public (like the M16) unless they hold a Class-3 license. The public must purchase the M1A (like the AR15).

Thanks for the info guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top