Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2002 5:15:39 AM EDT
I want to purchase my first M1A but I cant decide between the Scout and the Standard models.  I like the short barrel and the ability to mount an Aimpoint on the Scout, but doesn't the shorter barrel decrease range and accuracy.  What kind of MOA can I expect from the Scout?  How strong is the Scout mount?  Would I be better off just getting the Bush model and forget about the Aimpoint?  And of course how does the Scout compare to the Standard model?  

Too many rifles, so little money!!

Thanks
Nitric O  
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#1]
the shorter barrel does not appreciably decrease range and accuracy.  we are talking out to 500 yds.  the standard M1A is a 800 yd rifle because the rounds go subsonic at that distance and begin to wobble.  the shorter rifls will work to almost that distance.  600-700 yds.   you can expect 1-1.5 MOA with both rifles.  if you want the scout for CQB i think it will disapoint you as it is way to long.
the scout mount it a durable military mount but don't drive over it with your truck and expect it to work.  it probably will but don't expect it to.  
if I were you I would get the loaded model or if you can afford it the national match model with a synthetic stock.  and expect .75-1 MOA with quality ammo.
then get an ARMS base for the M1A.  a set of 30mm cam type ARMS Rings for a long range scope and a cam type ARMS base to mount your red dot.
ARMS equipment is great because it will hold zero.  you can easily swap out the gear for the situation.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no reason you can't put a scout mount on a standard M1A. I have one on my M-14S with a red dot set up for steel plates. I bought the mount on the E.E.. The only thing I don't like is that the scout mount raises my cheek weld and it is unstable. I am working on an adjustable comb for a G.I. synthetic stock. If I can get a consistent stock weld it will be excellent for 0-75 yards point and click type work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
i read a post on another board concerning the scout mount and this guy was saying that his aimpoint got so hot that he couldn't touch it....this makes sense to me so i ordered one of the third generation mounts and plan to put my aimpoint on it.....as far as cost goes the two mounts cost about the same.....Dick
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i read a post on another board concerning the scout mount and this guy was saying that his aimpoint got so hot that he couldn't touch it....this makes sense to me so i ordered one of the third generation mounts and plan to put my aimpoint on it.....as far as cost goes the two mounts cost about the same.....Dick

When the 3rd Gen mount arrives, IMMEDIATELY send it back for a refund, and get an ARMS #18 or a Smith Enterprises mount!!!! The SA mount is garbage, crap, and junk! If you don't believe me, wait until you see in the instructions where they tell you to hit the mount with a hammer to mate it to the receiver........besides, the SA mount doesn't hold up well under recoil, and will lose zero.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 2:04:31 AM EDT
[#5]
 I have both models of the M1A and I can tell ya that I have a terrible time deciding between the two.  I have my Scout PRECISION bedded into a TRW G.I. stock and then I floated the barrel and it is nearly as accurate as a full size M1A rack grade.  The guys are right when they say the scope mount gets hot on the Scout...it gets BLISTERING...you only have to lay your hands on it once and you won't soon forget it.
 One bad thing about the Scout is due to the shorter barrel your elevation adjustments are out of calibration beyond about 200 yards.  The ballistic curve generated with your normal 7.62 surplus ammo gets messed up without that extra few inches of barrel.  Unlike a full size rifle you can't just "calibrate" the sights to the brand of ammo you are using.  However it isn't too hard to just count your clicks for your specific ranges and jot them down on a range card that you can tape to the stock.  Mind you it is doubtful you'll ever need any rifle beyond two hundred yards anyhow so take that into account also.
 For what it's worth

Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:48:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

i second the send it back vote.
the mount's are the only shitty thing springfield makes.  it's sad that they still sell them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top